Friday, April 21, 2023

The Windsor Knot, a favorite book with Queen Elizabeth II solving a murder

 

I loved every minute of reading this book and when it ended I had a warm feeling of happiness. I felt comforted by how The Windsor Knot's author, SJ Bennett, portrayed the central character. Queen Elizabeth II is close to 90 in this book and is written as kind, highly intelligent and perceptive as she attempts to solve a crime. A visitor is murdered in Windsor Castle. The Queen's love of dogs and horses and her quiet faith feature in this book, and she is brilliant in dealing with a mediocre intelligence man who tries to solve the case. It seems to me like Bennett knew the Queen well, which she did not in real life. I am giving The Windsor Knot a prime place of honor in my short list of best books I've ever read.

I am happy to learn that there is a second book in this series, All the Queen's Men. That is the title of the USA edition, I rather think I prefer the title of the British edition, A Three Dog Problem. Now you know those dogs must be Corgis or Dorgis, favorites of the Queen. Another in the series is to be published in 2024. I already bought All the Queen's Men.  Anyone else reading this new series?


23 comments:

Angela said...

I really must read these. I imagine "A three dog problem" is a nod to Sherlock Holmes and his "three pipe problem"

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Terra - I see it's got lots of plaudits ... I'm sure I'll read it - so it'll go on my distant TBR list - delighted you enjoyed it. I note there's opportunity for many more as the series can go backwards in time ... fun take on our Queen. Cheers for now - Hilary

Mevely317 said...

Oh my goodness! The late Queen (and all things Windsor) has never interested me all that much. Yet, your review has seriously piqued my curiosity. I want to read this -- sooner, rather than later.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've heard good things about "A Windsor Knot" but I didn't know there was a sequel! I agree that "A Three Dog Problem" is a better title. Hmmmm, I think you've persuaded me to get both these books!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I was just on Amazon looking up these books and I see there's a third one due to be published in September called "Murder Most Royal."

Frugally challenged said...

Is Murder Most Royal available in the USA? that's the third one here and, like you, we must await A Death in Diamonds in 2024. I have the first three as audiobooks read by Samantha Bond.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Thank you for more books to add to my summer reading list.

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks, thesxe books sound great! I'm sure I will enjoy them! Valerie

Jeanie said...

I've not heard of this series but being a big fan of the late Queen, you can bet I'm putting them on my list!

dori said...

O you spend a good time reading this good book! Fine, that there ist a second one and maybe a third one you like. What about your healthy condition?

Mari said...

Oooh - that sounds very good! I'm saving the title to look for.

Margaret D said...

Sounds interesting. Never heard of the book..but ones to look out for.

DawnTreader said...

Never heard of it, but thanks for the tip :)

Ann said...

Sounds like it would be a book I would enjoy reading.

Rian said...

The Windsor Knot peaked my interest... so I sent off for a sample and am reading it now on Kindle. Thanks.

Kathy said...

I have not heard of these books or the author but you know I am going to read them now. Thanks for the review. Now off to Amazon to find them.

ashok said...

Sounds interesting

Ginny Hartzler said...

I think I may have heard of this book, it sounds good!

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, I've read and enjoyed them.

Barwitzki said...

...By the way, I'm also looking at Amazon... and... I found it and ordered it. Thanks very much. I'm curious... Happy week to you and a hug from Viola

meandmysmallcorner said...


That sounds like a great new series and I shall be adding it to my reading list. Thank you for sharing x

baili said...

wow sounds interesting and unique because never heard of such story before written by anyone else dear Terra !

thank you for introducing ,i have not read anything like this but have watched few movies with name Elizabeth among them the last was probably Queen and Abdullah
blessings

Carla from The River said...

This sounds like a good read, thank you for sharing. :-)