Wednesday, April 12, 2023

My new exercise bike and a Heart Monitor for Me!

 Do you sometimes put off doing something? I've been thinking about buying a recumbent exercise bike for a long time, maybe a year, mentioning it to family and friends. 

Well I have one! On March 12 my sons surprised me with the gift of the above JeeKee brand bike, they brought it over and set it up. No more procrastination. It is in my living room and I can sit on it and read a book or watch TV. It even tells me my pulse rate and how far I've gone and how many calories I've burned. I think we all know it takes a LOT of exercise to work off the calories of ice cream for dessert.

So far I am using it a few minutes each day. It is completely silent and uses magnets so there is no friction to create noise. My main goal with it is to raise my heart rate a bit. Sauntering with my pup twice a day is good for body and soul, but pup likes to check and send his email/AKA pee mail so we stop along the way. Anybody else have an exercise bike and any tips on using it?

My Heart Monitor

I added this note on April 14 to this post and will post more soon in a new post. I will get a heart monitor next week, it sticks to your chest for about 2 weeks. The reason for this is that on April 7 while walking my dog I suddenly felt exhausted, it was hard to walk home and when I sat down at home my heart was pounding hard for about 10 minutes. My younger son drove me to the Emergency Room on Saturday where they did lots of tests which all show my heart is healthy. It was scary! So the heart monitor will gather more info. More later. Have you worn a heart monitor?

My sons and I were happy that we continued our Easter plans and went to church the next day. It was joyful, about 400 people, more people there since before Covid, and 16 people were baptized, from age 10 and up, with many in their 20s, 30s and 40s. This gives us hope for the future of the church, new young members. After church I rested and my sons prepared our Easter feast.


22 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nice! Recumbent bikes are supposed to be easier on the back from what I've heard.

Marie Smith said...

My husband uses ours for 80 minutes a day. He watches tv or listens to music. He worked up to that time, starting with 10 minutes or so. It hurts my hip so I can’t use it for more than 10 minutes. Enjoy!

Kathy G said...

Congratulations! When I had an exercise bike (years ago) the only place to put it was in the basement. There were no distractions down there and I quickly got bored.

DUTA said...

Great gift! Enjoy it!

Valerie-Jael said...

Have fun with your bike! I had one here for several years, but had to give it up as my sense of balance is very poor these days. Hugs, Valerie

Chatty Crone said...

Wow what a wonderful gift!
Hey, I will be off internet services for about a week. I will be back! ☺

Michelle said...

A friend of mine says these are the best thing for exercise. I don't have one, but just a regular bike inside. I hope it works out well for you.

Miss Merry said...

My ears perked up when you said silent. I could never get into a treadmill because I didn't like the noise. I couldn't hear the tv, I couldn't concentrate on a book. I hope this works out well for you!

Ann said...

I had an exercise bike years ago. I didn't use it for very long. It was incredibly noisy and I really couldn't do anything else while I was riding it.

Granny Marigold said...

Years ago I had one but it was not nearly as comfortable as yours looks to be. I did use it for a couple of years then it got moved into a corner and eventually out the door. I hope you'll find you get a lot of use out of yours. GM

Betsy said...

That sure looks like a really nice bike. We have an exercise room here at the apartment building and I use the bike quite a bit. I enjoy it as it's quiet and has a television to entertain while you sweat! :-)
Blessings,
Betsy

Pom Pom said...

What a nice gift! My husband uses ours but I don't! I hope you enjoy it and listen to some good books while you push the pedals!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Never had one before. But I've seen others post about getting them to use while they crochet. I know I sit too much some days -- and that will certainly be the case when summer heat rolls around.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

This looks like a nice exercise bike and good to have it noiseless, too. A very nice gift! I've always wanted one.

meandmysmallcorner said...


Enjoy using your new bike x

Dee said...

Dear Terra, many years ago--maybe 25--I bought a Schwinn recumbent bicycle. However, caught up in other activities, I failed to use it on a regular basis. For about 24 of those years, it has sat in the garage. It was called "top of the line" at the time and it probably could be used by someone but no one in my family has an interest. So there it sits, next to the treadmill I bought for myself last September. It was too cold in the garage to use it during the winter, but now I'm making good use of it. I've found that having a set time to use it works best for me--I need routine in my life.

I so hope the heart monitor gives your doctors the information they need. Take care a nd be gracious to yourself.

Peace from Dee and the cats.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi, I had to wear a heart monitor for several days last year. I hope you get some good information. That new recumbent bike is great. I hope you enjoy using it. I used to have one and it was great because you could read while you use it. Have a great weekend!

Bless said...

I hope the heart monitor will provide some useful information to help your doctors figure out what is going on. Hope it is nothing serious. The flowers in your earlier post are lovely! And I'm glad your power was restored after your neighbor's tree came down.

dori said...

I hope you have a good result according your heart! You have good sons! Fine, that so many people were baptized on Easter. Wow: 30 and 40 yars old...... Wonderful!

Marilyn Miller said...

I went through this same thing in March. The results was new meds to take each day.
Take care and be well.

magiceye said...

Ah good to know your heart is doing great!

baili said...

wow you have such kind and sweet sons dear Terra :)

i am so happy for you my friend that you got new exercise bike and tool to keep check on your heart ,i am sorry that you felt ill while walking your pet but thank goodness that everything was normal but your sons showed their love and concern which surely give you more strength and joy :)

please take good care of yourself !
hugs