Monday, February 28, 2022

Happy Changes In My Garden, Solar Lights and Standing Planter Box

 

Two of my Christmas gifts from my sons on display in my garden. The solar flood light and the peacock sculpture on the right are the new additions. The peacock on the left and the bird bath are long time garden features. The floodlight is actually subtle, not blazingly bright, and casts a romantic mood in my backyard. It is on from about 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. You can't see too clearly but the birdbath is about 30 years old and is made of cement with pebbles embedded in it. Kind of old school, I love it. Behind is an old pink rose waiting to bloom.

I have considered buying one of these raised planters for a long time but they are a bit pricey and a hassle to put together. This is another surprise Christmas gift from my sons. Yes, they do treat me like a princess. Now I can grow vegetables while standing up. No more kneeling or leaning over to garden for this senior lady. 

I soaked Chinese sugar pea seeds overnight and planted them. I have an old wooden raised garden bed that is one to two feet high that is close to falling apart and I changed it to a flower garden. This week I planted seeds of zinnias, knee high sunflowers and knee high sweet peas. I bought the seeds from Eden Brothers and they arrived quickly, within a week. Yes, I live in a temperate climate. Nights have been about 40 degrees and days are reaching 70 so I can plant some seeds. 

As I sometimes say "Gardeners and Christians are hopeful people." We plant a tree or a seed or share a Scripture and wait in hope.

21 comments:

Lin said...

How nice that you have all these exciting new features for your garden! AND you can start planting! We aren't anywhere near that yet, but a girl can dream. I'm just grateful that it is above freezing today.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Congratulations on the gorgeous planter! Wow! It is the best I have seen. They are pricey due to, I imagine, wood costs, and the labor involved in building one.
I bought wood to make one much simpler than yours. Much cheaper than ready made.

Granny Marigold said...

The solar floodlight casts a lovely light on your old birdbath. Your weather sounds perfect for sowing seeds; we have a month or more to wait. I have my seeds and my ideas but am forced to be patient.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Peacock sculptures are much better than having real peacocks -- too noisy!

happyone said...

It is so nice having raised garden beds like that. My husband made us a couple and we love them.
The solar lights look very nice.

Marie Smith said...

The new plantar is a great height!

Linda Reeder said...

great gifts! We will have to wait several menthe for most seeds to go in the ground. Right now they would rot in the cold, sodden ground.

dori said...

You have a dreamlike garden, dear Terra, and you have fabulous sons! We also will start a high place for several seeds this spring, we prepared it in autumn, made of wood and full of naturally earth. A good idea! But still here it is cold and winter.

I love your sentence:

"Gardeners and Christians are hopeful people." We plant a tree or a seed or share a Scripture and wait in hope.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Your bird bath and sculptures and rose bush and lighting are SO pretty, Terra! I LOVE lights in the yard. I currently have our mailbox and a big crape myrtle floodlit, and of course there are lights on all of my railing, the color of which I update with the season Just today TG helped me install the green fairy lights for March. I'm glad your sons treat you like a princess -- as well they should! Someone reared them to honor their parents. xoxo

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I'm hoping to repair and renew my garden this year. 2 years of neglect : (

Mari said...

Your sons did very good! I like your thought on gardeners and Christians too.

Shug said...

Cute, cute solar lights. My neighbor across the street has several in her yard and I love looking out my front door at night to see her lights. I'm looking at some raised beds this year. Sure will beat bending over.

Betsy said...

That is a beautiful planter, your sons did very well. I have thought about getting one but I do have places to plant things in the back yard if I could tolerate the heat and humidity of summer better here.
Your peacocks are beautiful. I used to have a birdbath that was similar to yours until it was broken by a ball coming over our back fence. It landed squarely in the birdbath and toppled it over. I couldn't be made. Just children playing ball and it got away. ::) I have a new one now that is shiny blue in color. I think it's called cobalt. I love it too.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

APKfun said...

Your son is so excellent with those interesting creatures for your garden. Yours encourages me to redecorate my garden.

Retired Knitter said...

Ahhh ... the talk of gardens and planting. Spring can’t be far behind!

Henny Penny said...

That is a such a pretty spot around your birdbath. What sweet gifts from your sons. I'm anxious to plant something. Been buying a few packs of flower seens when I'm in Walmart. Bet your old raised bed full of flowers will be pretty.

Sandy said...

LOVE the garden additions. Very pretty and yippee for you that you get to plant so soon. I'm envious. I do see bits of green popping up in the ground, but it will be some time yet before we have flowers or it's safe to plant. How sweet your sons are to get you such thoughtful gifts.
Sandy's Space

Olga said...

What wonderful and thoughtful sons you are blessed with!

baili said...

oh how kind of your precious sons is to gift you such a lovely present my friend :) you must be proud of them dear Terra as they choose to express their love through thoughtful gifts i am so happy for you .your garden looks splendid with light and peacock decoration wow ,i loved this raised garden and it will surely look amazing with new plantations.

more shower of blessings!

Inger said...

Your garden looks magical. The picture of the lights in the dark is very special.

Friko said...

How lovely that your sons treat you. I love the wooden planter, this old lady finds it harder and harder to get off her knees.
I have done a bit of gardening today too, and gone round and discovered a few treasures; something to brighten the gloom.