Sunday, February 20, 2022

Paintings That Bring Me Joy, and I Am Hosting a Zoom Group

 When I was in college I had a passion for visiting art museums and experiencing paintings and sculptures of great beauty, which led to my change of college major to Art History. I visited the Louvre perhaps 20 times, the Rodin studio, the oval room in Paris containing paintings of Monet's pond, the rooms in the Louvre full of tiny Netsuke sculpted objects, the Egyptian rooms at the Louvre. My husband and I discovered the rooms at the Tate Gallery in London with the Pre-Raphaelite paintings, and that group of artists became my favorites. Here are some paintings in several genres that I like.

This above artist, Sophie Gengembre Anderson,  is new to me, she is noted for her paintings of children and women. This painting is "Picking Honeysuckle" and Anderson was a French born British artist, 1823-1903.

I love horses and paintings so combine the two and I find this painting,  "Whistlejacket" painted by George Stubbs in 1762, a winner. The painting of the horse is life size.


 Do you like the above painting? "Rome, Castle Sant Angelo" by Camille Corot, 1826-1827. My  husband and I spent several days in Rome and stayed near the Castle so saw it often.

Above is "Pretty Baa-Lambs" by Ford Maddox Brown, 1852. When seen in person his paintings are jewel like and Brown is in the Pre-Raphaelite artists group I like so much. Each of their paintings has a story, often from history, fable, poetry, Greek and Roman myth, Shakespeare or the Bible.


The above is "Women in the Garden" by Claude Monet, 1866. I hope you enjoyed this journey through some favorite paintings by a few of my favorite artists.
ZOOM and me hosting
I didn't tell you before but I volunteered to host Zoom meetings for a group of three women. We met 14 months ago, as a Zoom group for women over 55 who were finding isolation hard. Then we started meeting outdoors in a coffee shop with a huge patio and gardens across the street from the Pacific Ocean. Then, in covid's erratic way, for safety we needed to meet on Zoom again. The woman who had hosted us on Zoom left the group. I did not know if I would succeed but I did. Not too shabby for this senior lady to figure out the Zoom hosting.


 



22 comments:

Jeanie said...

I was an art history minor and while I've forgotten much of what I've learned, I really appreciate art like this. I, too, enjoy the pre-Raphaelites, and tend to love pretty much those from Impressionism backwards! There are only a few contemporary artists I've "bonded" with. But then, they were all contemporary in their day!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lovely paintings! And way to go with Zoom! We're never to old to learn and try new things!

Marie Smith said...

Brilliant idea to use Zoom that way. Great job!

I love Monet as well!

Granny Marigold said...

I like all the paintings that you chose to show today but my favourite has to be the first, Picking Honeysuckle.
I'm impressed that you hosted a zoom meeting. That's something I've no idea about.

Susan Kane said...

WE haven't gone to an art museum in a decade. We can change that soon.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely paintings, the Monet especially. I imagine wearing a long dress as day wear must feel comfortable.

Olga said...

Beautiful paintings indeed. It is wonderful to be in person with friends and I know some complain of Zoom fatigue, but would we have made it this far without it? Good for you to keep a group going.

Mari said...

Good for you with those Zoom meetings!
The paintings are all just beautiful. I'm amazed at how some people can paint so well that it looks like a photo.

Leanne said...

I love the Pre-Raphaelite artists and John William Waterhouse is an absolute favourite of mine. Thanks for sharing those lovely paintings - many I hadn't seen before, and congrats on mastering the skills of Zoom hosting - something we've all benefitted from during covid.

Liz Hinds said...

Stubbs is renowned for his horses, isn't he? Amazing paintings.

The Feminine Energy said...

Congratulations to you about the Zoom hosting. I can't even imagine!! *haha* Yes, I love all these paintings too. The women's dresses make me swoon! ~Andrea xoxoxo

Betsy said...

Love all of these paintings. I also loved the same places in the Louve and could have spent much more time there than I had. In London last year we went to the British History museum where the had the Magna Carta on display. Again, I gravited toward paintings and artwork more like the ones you shared. I did love the display on jewels too though, Tiny, tiny jewelry with the most exquisite designs.
On a previous visit I spent 3 entire days at the National Portrait museum. Many of those paintings were in my history books as a child and I found it hard to believe some of them were so small. In my books I pictured them as huge painting when in reality they were 8 x 10 or 12 x 16!
We still have our Thursday night Bible study on Zoom. We started it on zoom in April 2020 and are still meeting that way since we moved to Nebraska and everyone else else is still in Spokane. It's nice they still want us! :-) We've been together as a group for 29 years!
Blessings,
Betsy

dori said...


I see you love art and you are very good informed, dear Terra!! I most love "Picking Honeysuckle" and the panting with the sheep! WONDERFUL!! INNOVATIVE!!!!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Terra - art is just amazing isn't it ... so much to learn, so much to see. Re George Stubbs (1724 - 1806) and that painting of Whistlejacket ... I was exceedingly fortunate to be able to see an exhibition about Stubbs' works and that painting in all its glory - absolutely brilliant. Enjoy your art and that zoom meeting - cheers Hilary

Inger said...

I had to enlarge the painting of the horse. It is magnificent, how I wish I could see it in life size. Much as I love horses, donkeys are my favorites, thank you Terra. I Will write soon.

Carla from The River said...

I enjoyed seeing your favorite art.
Good for you with the Zoom meetings .. continuing to shine light during this dark time.

Catalyst said...

I loved the first and the last best. Can't pick between the two for a favorite.

LC said...

All of those are memorable, but that first painting entrances me. Wasn't familiar with the artist. The Castle Saint Angelo brought back fond memories of our few days in that remarkable city.

My Tata's Cottage said...

I love the art. You have selected some beautiful pieces and talented and creative artists. THANK YOU! Have a blessed weekend, as it is quickly approaching along with a new month!

Linda said...

You are AMAZING!!!!

Iris Flavia said...

The lamb-painting is my favorite!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Good for you Terra, hosting the Zoom meeting! I adore and love the paintings you have shown. They are all breathtaking but Whistlejacket is AMAZING and I would love to see that in person! I have never traveled to Europe so I admit that I envy you having been to those wonderful museums. My favorite museum remains the Art Institute of Chicago, where I have many times stood before and been stunned by paintings like Hopper's Nighthawks, Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, Wood's American Gothic, and many old masters, including some Rembrandts, which I must admit totally blow me away. Two years ago we visited the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh, and they had some Rodin sculptures. It was wonderful. xoxo