Monday, October 10, 2022

Zug, Switzerland, Lady from Zug, and Alpenhorns

 

Long ago my husband and I took the train from Paris to Istanbul, and stopped in Switzerland on the way. We were in Zug, Switzerland on their National Day, or their Independence Day and above is a photo of Lake Zug. We had a moment when we saw a long canoe emerging from the mist on Lake Zug and a man was playing an alpenhorn which was about eight feet long. That was a moment of profound and unexpected beauty for these two young Americans to witness.


Above are some alp horns or alpenhorns, though I could not find a photo of an alp horn in a canoe. I read that people, especially shepherds, used these horns in the mountains to communicate over long distances. They just make one long low haunting and very beautiful note, or perhaps a couple notes or tones. Each horn is made of one or two tree trunks.
I had a nice experience recently involving Zug. I arrived early at my favorite coffee shop here in California (yes, the one on the ocean cliffs that I have posted about). I was meeting a friend and was early because I arrived early to find a table outside. All the tables were full and this friendly lady insisted I join her at her large table. She said she was visiting from Switzerland and I right away said, my husband and I had a lovely visit in Zug. She looked very surprised. She said she is from Zug. It is a small town. We had a great chat, what a nice meeting between the lady from Zug and me who right away mentioned Zug.


20 comments:

Margaret D said...

How lovely that you just happened to meet someone from a place you enjoyed visiting...

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Don't you love it when that happens! It's so great to be friendly and make that connection. And it's fun to share memories!

R's Rue said...

So very beautiful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Great post! Glad you met the lady from Zug -- such a coincidence! My grandparents emigrated from Switzerland to Canada in the 1920s, but I've never been to Switzerland, alas.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Great chance meeting!
I love the name, Zug. and the pronounciation...zoog (Wikipedia). If I ever have a pet again, then I will name it Zug.

happyone said...

Wow small world - amazing!!
what a lovely experience!!!

Mari said...

Those horns are amazing! I would love to visit Switzerland some day.
So neat that you met the lady from Zug. I'm sure that made her day!

dori said...

This is a wonder! First the story about the amazing journey with your beloved husband - long ago - and now, many years later you meet a nice woman, who comes from the same place in Switzerland, where you had made station.

I think the ALPENHÖRNER sent a message ........

Granny Marigold said...

Now that's a lovely coincidence!! I think that will have made your day!

Linda said...

You have had such an amazing life!!!

Carla from The River said...

WOW, the horns are amazing. And I love the story you shared today. It made me smile.. good things are happening.
xx oo
Carla

Betsy said...

How wonderful! I have found in all of our travels that the world is indeed a very, very small world. We have made great friends everywhere we have gone. Once, Dennis was in the Ukraine meeting with some businessmen. One man's office was completely decorated with Nebraska Cornhusker (football), items. He had gone to the University of Nebraska in Omaha and lived very close to our house! Small world indeed!
I loved to hear your story of Zug. Switzerland is a place I would love to visit someday.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

handmade by amalia said...

The alp horns are fantastic, you must need strong lungs to play them.
Amalia
xo

DawnTreader said...

"Small world", indeed. I've never been to Switzerland but I've been to Austria (tourist bus trip to Germany/Austria, 30+ years ago now).

Beside a babbling brook... said...

What a trip...

💛 🌟 💛 🌟 💛

Tabor said...

I love the serendipity of meeting humans that share our memories and our love of things. You are a lucky person.

Debbie said...

what a sweet story of a wonderful chance meeting. kindness brought you both together!!!

thanks for your kind words today!!!

Christine said...

A fabulous trip!

meandmysmallcorner said...


How lovely to meet someone from Zug and rekindle fond memories of holidays.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

sometimes we get reminded of what a small world it really is. Love the photos and the surprise meeting! x K