Thursday, September 15, 2022

Castle Richmond by Anthony Trollope, my favorite book read thus far in 2022


 

Castle Richmond by Anthony Trollope

Writing this review in September, Castle Richmond stands out as my favorite book I have read thus far this year of 50 books read. I like Trollope’s novels so much that I always buy the print copies and keep them. He wrote in the 1850s -1880s and his books give a wonderful picture of the Victorian era in England and Ireland.

This book is set in 1860 in Ireland in the time of the Irish potato famine and explores the ups and downs of the fortunes and loves of three families. Owen Fitzgerald of Hap House, Patrick Fitzgerald of Castle Richmond and the widow aged about 38, Lady Desmond, and her daughter Clara age 17 of Desmond Court. The Fitzgerald cousins deeply love Clara and each was briefly engaged to Clara. Meanwhile the famine begins and is raging across the land, while Patrick works to provide work and food to the poor. Trollope writes with great insight about the rivalry and mistrust of 2 Protestant ministers and the local Catholic priest as they set aside differences to save the lives of starving people.

How will the love triangle of Clara and her two suitors be resolved? Lady Desmond has her own lonely and impoverished life to consider while she struggles to find the right husband for Clara. Who will inherit the title and estate of Castle Richmond as evil blackmailers cause immense suffering for the family? The whole novel and especially the ending are brilliant and Trollope provides some humor and also his clever asides to the reader, when he makes comments as the author directly to us.

Do you read Anthony Trollope as I do? I just realized some readers might like to try one of his novels, a good one to start with is Barchester Towers. Richmond Castle is also a good choice. Who is your favorite author and what are you reading today? I have many authors I enjoy reading and Trollope is at the top of my list.

13 comments:

Tom said...

I too read about 50 books a year (more since Covid) but I've never read an Anthony Trollope. But this sounds interesting, so I might start now. Thanks for the tip!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I have never read Anthony Trollope, although his name is so famous. This is an excellent review, and now I would like to read him. It's interesting. I've missed many of the classics thinking of the era in which they were written and expecting the language to be difficult to navigate, cluttered with too much description. And then, for the sake of a story I was writing, I read Don Quixote and found it one of the most humorous books I'd ever read. This sounds like an equally good read. thanks for sharing.

dori said...

Dear Terra, I don't know Antony Trollope, but I think he writes wonderful and precious stories. It is a wise decision to change differences into harmony to save the lifes of people.
I read Selma Lagerlöf. She is from Sveden. She wrote many great stories. I red now "Jerusalem" .....
Many greetings from Dorifrom the Bavarian Forest

happyone said...

I haven't read any Anthony Trollope books but I will!!
My all time favorite author is Charles Dickens.
I've been reading a lot of Anne Perry books and she is one of my favorite authors.

Frugally challenged said...

You've reminded me of Trollope after a break of many years. I just might get an audiobook. Did you know that he is credited with introducing post boxes to the UK?

Jennifer said...

I've never read anything by Anthony Trollope, but I will now! Thanks for the suggestion!

Amelia said...

Thank you for the rec! I will have to try Barchester Towers. I've never read any of Anthony Trollope's books...Thanks again!

happyone said...

Just had to come back and tell you this.
My library didn't have any of his books.
Went to amazon and bought all 47 of his books on my Kindle for can you believe $.99.

Terra said...

Oh Happy One, that library you mention should be ashamed to not have any of his 47 novels. And yes, Frugally Challenged, I did know that Anthony Trollope is credited with the introduction of those handsome red post boxes in the UK. He had a long career with the postal service in Ireland and in England and wrote every morning before work, at something like 5 a.m.

DawnTreader said...

I think I've "only" read the Barchester Chronicles - or rather, I mostly listened to them as audio books. (I have them all in my Audible library.) I just downloaded this one free for Kindle, but if/when I'll get round to reading it remains to be seen. I'm beginning to realize I probably have more free and cheap classics downloaded on my Kindle than I'll ever find time to read (in among all the other ones I also want to read and reread...) Lately I've been reading some good books in Swedish, but as I don't think they've been translated, not much point in recommending them here!

R's Rue said...

Adding to my list.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

NanaNor's said...

Great Review Terra, I'm not familiar at all with the author, but will look him. up. Being Irish and loving Ireland, I'm sure I'd appreciate it.
Thank you for your kind words. Hope you are doing well, Happy Fall.
Noreen

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Terra - Anthony Trollope is an author I should read more of ... I've noted your thoughts on this one ... and will look it out in the library - cheers Hilary