Sunday, September 3, 2023

My week that was, Ups and Downs of New Roof and Hip Pain

The first photo shows some of the five roofers on our roof and their trucks. I didn't want to invade their privacy so I took the photo from across the street.

The above photo shows my house on the right and my neighbor on the left, they are gutting their house and adding an addition, so their house will be like new. Gutting means taking out all of the interior.
 

Starting Wednesday August 23 the roofers I hired came over to tear off our old roof and put on the new one. I had 3 companies come over and give me estimates and picked the one I liked the best. At 5 p.m. that very day I had sudden severe pain in my left hip. That evening and the next three days I could not walk, I only managed to hobble. Meanwhile the five man team of roofers are making lots of noise on the roof. Not very restful for me. This hip pain has happened bcfor including a year ago, at which time they took xrays and told me it is arthritis in my hips. Common for oldies like me.

The above photo shows on the right the new "forest brown" shingles, progress can be seen. The project is completed now with 7 full week days of work. Next up, someone to paint the fascia boards and then the contractor will come back and put up the gutters and downspouts in a couple weeks.


The above photo shows how everything in the garage was covered in plastic, and also the entire attic covered in plastic, even the floor, because the attic and garage are open beam and dust and debris seeps in when the old shingles are pulled off of the roof. The contractor said the dust could damage power tools, etc. The contractor said he does not allow his crew to go in attics, fortunately my sons went up there and did the plastic covering there and in the garage. I certainly couldn't. 

Below shows the completed roof. Completed roof, but now 200 linear feet of fascia boards (the white boards above the garage doors and all around the house) remain to be painted barn red, and then gutters and downspouts installed. 


 

What a week, so much pain in my hip and noise from the roofing. Oh how I love peace and quiet. To celebrate my handsome Forest Brown roof, shall I have a party and invite you all? We would not climb on the roof though.


18 comments:

Mari said...

That was a week! We got a new roof a couple years ago and I remember the noise. But I was able to get out.
It looks nice! I hope your hip is improving.

Miss Merry said...

Boy, I bet you are glad that project is finished! It does look nice. Hoping your hip feels better soon. This getting old stuff isn't for sissies.

magiceye said...

Take care. Get well soon!

Margaret D said...

Everything happening at once.
Arthritis is not very pleasant and can play up with changing seasons.
Your house will be better for having a new roof...looking good.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Alana - I'm so pleased you had the roof replaced and its now safe for the years ahead ... and I hope that hip eases itself - mind you I've had mine replaced and all is well/better (no pain) ... Take care - Hilary

Monica T. said...

Hope the worst of the noise is over - but I suppose there must be noise from the work being done at your neighbours' house as well. Hope you van find some pain relief for your hip too.

Marie Smith said...

We had a new roof several years ago. I can relate. I hope the pain eases or is manageable.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Looks great!

acorn hollow said...

Roofing is quite a job and expensive. Sorry about your hip pain can they do anything for you to make you comfortable?
Cathy

Sam said...

Looks really nice. I don't know how you stood seven days of that banging around while feeling poorly. Three 12-hour days for ours just about drove me nuts. It does feel good to know you're good for a while, though, doesn't it?

Granny Marigold said...

I'm sorry your hip is causing you problems. Hopefully it will improve. Fortunately the roofers have left you in peace and seem to have done an excellent job.

Susan Kane said...

What a project! Getting the roof done is an accomplishment! Next door? That is going to be a royal mess!

Did you see the photo on my site yet?

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh I am sorry to hear about the pain in your hip. I hope it has calmed down now that the roof is done. Sometimes stress causes muscles/joints to tense up. Praying for you to feel better really soon. The roof looks really nice! I know it is a big job and I am sure you are happy to have it over with. Goodness, I never knew about the dust/etc. coming through to things below. That's interesting. Glad they told you and that your sons were able to cover everything! What a job! Take care and try to relax and rest now.

dori said...

A lot of work! Thanks goodness you have 2 good sons! I hope the pains in your hip are softer now or completely gone. What a hard week you had! You have a beautiful house. You will enjoy the fruits soon.
Greetings and blessings from the Bavarian Forest to you!

Jeanie said...

First of all, thanks for coming over to see me at Marmelade Gypsy! I appreciated your taking the time to comment.

Roofs. So expensive and so essential. But at least you can "see" it (and it looks great), unlike so many home necessities that get buried in the basement or just have to be done (and always cost a lot!) Now, onward to fall!

Harvee said...

My arthritis got so bad that I had two hip surgeries, though I still get the arthritis in the left hip area. Phys therapy helped me a lot. Gardening will put pressure on joints, but what to do? have a good week.

Sandy said...

We've had lots of construction around us. So I know what you mean about noise, the dust etc. The first house was totally gutted and they moved out for almost a whole year we had to look at dumpsters in the front yard, piles of equipment and porta johns. Some days there were so many work trucks and cars on the street it was hard to get in and out of our driveway. The 2nd house wasn't quite as bad, but they did a ton of work and then moved in, and then a few months over started doing more work. I had to cancel a doctors appointment because a dumpster had my driveway blocked for a couple of hours. The work is finally done; but we still have construction nearby, on the next street. Tearing up the road, adding new water pipes and such. Yeah for having a new roof, let's party; but as you say...not on the roof.
Sandy's Space

Bless said...

Getting the roof replaced was a big job! At least a couple of my neighbors have had their roofs replaced recently and yes, it's a noisy, dusty job!

I'm sorry you are experiencing hip pains! I've been having them, myself. Two years ago, I was practically bedridden with the pain, and I had x-rays and an MRI done. Bone spurs, osteo-arthritis, sciatica; I've been OK since then, but, just recently, had more pain in the other side! Old age is creeping up, I suppose! Hope the pain ceases soon and you feel better again.