Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Bel Lamington by D.E. Stevenson, Upbeat Novel, and Wildfire Smoke

 I read Bel Lamington by D.E. Stevenson recently and recommend it to anyone who enjoys an upbeat charming novel wherein the main character is a young woman who faces challenges. This novel is set in about 1950, first in London and then in Drumburly, Scotland.


Bel was orphaned when a child and raised by her kind aunt in an English village. When the aunt died Bel had to sell the house and take the small amount of money from the sale and move to London to find a job. She found a job as a secretary in a shipping company where several potential suitors meet her. Bel is innocent and runs into a big problem. She flees to the tiny outpost of Drumburly in Scotland where her friend and her father are on vacation fishing. 

I liked this book so much I was happy to hear there is a sequel, so I bought it and will soon learn more about Bel and her adventures.

I discovered D.E. Stevenson only a few years ago. We fans call ourselves Dessies. My very favorite of her novels is Miss Buncle's Book, which is very humorous. I am glad many of her books are back in print and also available as ebooks. If you like immersing yourself in stories set in 1940s and 1950s in rural England and Scotish border towns and people facing problem and even falling in love, these novels provide that. Humor too.

By the way, I have very eclectic taste in reading. For example I enjoy the Murderbot series by Martha Wells and just bought the third book in her series, Rogue Protocol. "Sci-Fi's favorite anti-social AI is back on a mission." "Who knew being a heartless killing machine would present so many moral dilemmas?" I will review the Murderbot series in a future post. I recently discovered two authors new to me, Jamie Buckingham and Sean Dietrich "Sean of the South." So many good books out there. What are you reading today?

 Smoke from Wild Fires in Canada and Northern USA

June 30 2023. I am adding this note to say I am concerned about all the poor air quality and smoke in much of eastern Canada and eastern USA and in northern states including Michigan, Wisconsin and New York. My sister says the air in western Wisconsin where she lives is very smokey and in the unhealthy zone. She has developed a cough from going out in her garden. I am praying that the fires in Canada go out today! Does everyone know that room air purifiers with HEPA filters remove smoke? I got two of them (for living room and for bedroom) to remove pollen and dust and during California smoke hazard days learned that they help clean the air from smoke too. Love you guys.


17 comments:

Rian said...

Bel Lamington sounds like a good book. Thanks for the heads up, Terra. Actually Miss Buncle's Book and the AI series sound pretty good too.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That murderbot series intrigues me -- I have to look into it, thanks!

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

I tumbled over D.E. Stevenson's books in the early 2000s. I haven't read all of them but they are a pleasure, interesting stories with realistic characters. Frozen in time, so they make me miss a world that mostly ended just before I was born.

Betsy said...

Bel Lamington does sound like a book I would like. I may have to look for it at the library when we get back from our trip.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Margaret D said...

Sounds an ok book.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Thanks for the book review - always looking for a good read!

Mari said...

That sounds like a good book!

Boud said...

I read miss Buncle back when you first mentioned this writer, and forgot about her. I liked it a lot and thanks to your prompt, I'm now reading her Married book, so entertaining for summer.

Sam said...

I really like that murderbot series a lot. My only complaint is that they are so short. Just when I'm really getting into one of them, it's over. :-)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good reviews, thank you.
Murderbot sounds interesting given the AI debates going on.

Smoke here in this western area near Lake Champlain south of Burlington, on the smoke map, is a moderate at 73 (51-100). I feel no breathing discomfort being outdoors.
The New York and Massachusetts borders with Vermont air quality is unhealthy at 154 (151-200).

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Terra! Thanks for visiting my blog. I always enjoy seeing books people are enjoying and reading their reviews. This sounds like an enjoyable read. Right now I am reading "Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Grams. It's hilarious. I read your bio, and I'm a great fan of C S Lewis too! Enjoy your weekend!

Christine said...

Sounds good.

Donna said...

Hi Terra! Thanks for following me...I followed back!
Have a great week!
hugs
Donna

magiceye said...

Sounds interesting.

morfeas said...

Good morning, I found you from a comment of yours on Mrs. Emma Springfield and I liked your name and I came to your blog out of curiosity
Bel Lamington by DE Stevenson I understand from the very nice description you wrote that this was a book I would be interested in reading
Unfortunately I don't know English
I like to read and maybe as a student at school I wasn't very good, but from 14 to 30 I read a lot of books
Unfortunately, from the age of 30 I started to have stories with drugs
Fortunately for me, I've gotten over it and have been off drugs for many years
Anyway, drugs for me now are a distant nightmare
I enjoyed reading you and will read more of your posts later

With Friendly Love and appreciation
From GREECE

Cynthia said...

I did not know I was a Dessie! I have been reading her books for many years, but haven’t read this one. Yet!

DUTA said...

Walking is considered the most beneficial form of movement for us. So keep on with your routine walking, and enjoy its benefits!
I'm afraid we'll have to adjust to fires and smoke that seem to have taken hold of most countries on our planet. Sad reality!