Sunday, July 10, 2022

Brew Ice Tea With Cold Water, Cheap and Delicious

 

 



Above is a photo of the ice tea I am making using cold water, this is how it looks after about two hours.

I make ice tea in a pitcher and it is so easy. I put 4 tablespoons of loose leaf tea in a tea infuser in a pitcher of cold water. I think mine is a quart size so this gives 4 eight ounce glasses. I use some black tea and some with a flavor like Earl Grey. Wait 10 hours, remove the tea infuser and voila. Put it in the refrigerator and then enjoy your tea. This is very inexpensive, perhaps 30 cents for 16 ounces versus $1.50 or more for a 16 oz. bottle. Plus you can do any flavors you like including decaff and herbal.

Also in the photo is the new pottery vase I bought at my neighbor's pottery sale, It is cream color with a marbling effect of pale blue. The flowers are godetias from my garden. If you buy a six pack of godetias to plant, you will likely get a lot of flowers. Godetias are not the most common of plants and I remember the plant name because it starts with god. 

Above is one of the many teas from Plum Deluxe tea company that I use to make iced tea, and hot tea too. The tea scoop spoon is cute with its heart shape bowl and I bought that from Plum Deluxe too. The most recent tea I bought from them is Grantham Tea created in honor of Downton Abbey.

I planted a small gardenia bush on my patio in a huge pot, and here is the first flower it produced. The color of gardenias draws me in as it is a pure creamy white, and wow, the scent is dreamy. This next photo I included a teaspoon so you can see the size of the gardenia flower.


 

Happy ice tea drinking and gardening, to all of us who love those activities.

20 comments:

Marie Smith said...

The garden is is perfect, if blooms can be perfect…

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nice vase, yummy tea, beautiful gardenia!

DUTA said...

Cold water is always welcome. Pity I'm not a tea drinker, as your suggestion of ice tea looks indeed delicious!

Marcia said...

I imagine your tea is very much like sun tea without using the sun. May have to try it because making it with boiling water takes a long time for it to cool down.

Jeanie said...

That's really brilliant. I love tea but not as much as the people who always give me tea -- especially loose tea -- thing! This sounds like a good way to use it!

Betsy said...

I'm always looking for a new tea supplier. I used to buy it at a wonderful little tea shop in Annapolis, MD when our daughter and her family lived there. I've resorted to tea bags but I do prefer loose leaf tea. I'll be checking out the Plum Company.
Your flowers and new vase are very beautiful and I can imagine the smell.
Blessings,
Betsy

Margaret D said...

My late father in law always took iced tea with him when he was out in the fields doing whatever.

Ann said...

Love that heart shaped spoon. The gardenia is so pretty.

R's Rue said...

I love the gardenia. Have a lovely day. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Liz Hinds said...

That gardenia looks glorious.

Gattina said...

The only tea I like to drink ice cold is Karkade or Bisap (in Africa), which is the same. In Egypt it's called Karkade and comes from an Ibiscus flower it has a real special taste and is very refreshing.
Thank you for your kind words on my WW post !

DeniseinVA said...

Your gardenia is very elegant looking. I like the pretty red flower in your new vase, and the vase itself. And the heart-shaped spoon :) Thanks for the tip on the tea too.

Jennifer said...

I love the scent of gardenias! And they're such beautiful flowers. :)

magiceye said...

Cheers to the iced tea!

Sandy said...

I used to make sun-tea but haven't in years. Never did the cold thing. Gardenias smell heavenly. My Dad had quite the green thumb and had 2 very large pots with them that were always loaded with blossoms. The plants were probably 40 years old. He moved them in and out seasonally. He started them both from a very small plant. Enjoy!
Sandy's Space

It's.a.crazy.world said...

That gardenia bloom is so pretty! I have gone back to making ice tea in the fridge, but I use the Lipton ice tea bags. Still pretty cheap, and so refreshing in these sweltering days!

magiceye said...

Love to have it during summer when the temperature ranges between 28-38 C :)

Barb said...

Hi Terra~ I love to make ice tea with cold water, my favorite is, chocolate mint. I have a chocolate mint plant and it's delicious. Sometimes I start the tea with a few cups of hot water, leaving it to steep for maybe 5 minutes or so. Then I fill my pitcher with cold water and sit it in the sunshine. A few hours later, deliciousness! Your vase is gorgeous! I have never heard of, Godetias, they are beautiful, and your Gardenia is breathtaking as well. I like to wear Gardenia perfume, Coty used to make a good one. Hope to catch up again soon! Hugs, Barb

acorn hollow said...

My mom always had a gardenia plant I haven't thought about them in years. Might be a nice indoor plant for us. I have never heard of the Godila; it reminds me of poppies. Perfect vase.
We are finally getting into the heat of the summer here in NH some iced tea sounds perfect I may make some the old-fashioned way as I don't want to wait.
Cathy

baili said...

I loved your ice tea with pudding flavour :)
You seems to have an artistic mind to plant white rose in tiny pot .it looks absolutely Gorgeous!!!