Wednesday, April 14, 2021

This book is amusing, including the title "This Book Will Save Your Life"


 I am happy I discovered this book, it is a joy to read.

This Book Will Save Your Life by A.M. Homes

This is my favorite novel that I read thus far this year. The author is talented, the plot fun, fascinating and original, and she created a main character, Richard, I was cheering for. Richard lives alone in the Hollywood hills, and was pushed by wildly odd circumstances to leave his secluded carefully organized life: personal chef delivers food to him, he works from home managing investments while exercising on his treadmill. A sinkhole appears in front of his house, a horse appears and falls into the sinkhole and becomes terrified, his neighbor is a famous movie star who has his helicopter and stuntman rescue the horse. Did I mention Richard drives down the highway, chasing a car, believing a stranger is kidnapped and he attempts a rescue? Many more things happen to Richard as he becomes more of an integrated human. Donuts are in the novel. I found this novel very fun to read.

I had not heard of this author before, and reading the book I assumed the author was a man, I don't know why. I want to read more of her books and learned that her first book was published in 1989. This book to me shows flashes of genius. Have you read any of her books?

22 comments:

Susan Kane said...

Thanks for the review. I love quirky books.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I have not read this author but if donuts are in the novel, I am IN!!! Seriously I am going to check out this title because it sounds like a truly fun read. Thanks, Terra! xoxo

happyone said...

No, have never read any of her books. I've put this one on my reading list. Will see if I can find it in the library.

dori said...

I think tis story tells about the crazy very helpful good things, which happen, when we let work the Lord!

I like the lion on the title.

mamasmercantile said...

No I haven't but I am not reading as much of late. I will certainly look out for her, sounds like a good book.

Ann said...

It sounds like a fun read

Jennifer said...

This book sounds great! Based on this recommendation I'm going to suggest it for my book club later this year. I'm sure we can all use something fun and uplifting!

The Feminine Energy said...

What an interesting-sounding book this is, Terra! I just might have to give it a whirl sometime. Thank you for the recommend. ~Andrea xoxo

Marie Smith said...

I haven’t, yet.

Jeanie said...

I don't know this book but it sounds like a lot of fun!

Olga said...

I am not at all familiar with this author with this book sounds like fun.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Sounds like a fun book to read. Thank you

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Have not, but will look them up!!!!

πŸ’›πŸŒΌπŸŒ»πŸŒΌπŸ’›

Marcia said...

You know I do judge a book by its cover and the cover of this one would have me put it back on the shelf. Your description though makes me wonder if I should read it. That tells me I need to not judge by the cover.

Rita said...

Had not heard of her but you have definitely peaked my interest. Thanks! :)

baili said...

wow this book sounds amazing through your words dear Terra :)

i would like to give it try if find around here
thank you so much for kind visit and words on my blog my friend!

more blessings to you and yours!

Lauren at Wonderfully Made said...

Hi Terra! I have not heard of this author but it sure does sound like a fun read. I'm currently slogging through "The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend". It is a highly rated book but to be honest, I'm half way through and it hasn't grabbed me yet haha!

LyzzyBee said...

I read this quite some time ago and loved it enough to buy it whenever I see it in charity shops to give to people! Here's my teeny tiny review, from back in the oldest days of my blog ... https://librofulltime.wordpress.com/2007/09/18/a-m-homes-this-book-will-save-your-life/

stardust said...

I haven’t known either this book or its author. Your review made it sound a good read. Thank you for sharing.

Blondie's Journal said...

Well, this sounds like a rollicking adventure of a book. I'll look it up on Amazon--I love their reviews and I like that you enjoyed it!!

Jane ❤️

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Jenny the Pirate said...

p.s. I ordered this from Thriftbooks and have received it, and I can't wait for a quiet day to read it cover to cover. Thanks for the recommendation! xoxo