Wednesday, May 8, 2019

My brilliant red Cantua flowers from Chile

This bush is my fifteen year old Cantua, which is a popular plant in Chile. My shrub is about 6 feet tall, and my friend who moved here from Chile told me that a Cantua at her home there reached her second story bedroom window. The flowers form only on the tips of the branches.
Like me, do you collect quotes? Garden quotes are favorites of mine and I have several books of them.
"Flowers are heaven's masterpieces." -- Dorothy Parker
"See nature, and through her, God.." -- Henry David Thoreau.  My dear uncle Leroy Pelkin introduced me to reading Thoreau and Emerson beginning when I was a child of perhaps ten.
I still have some old hardcover books by Thoreau and Emerson, printed about 1906, that Uncle Leroy gave me.

"Flowers are our greatest silent friends." -- Jim G. Brown
"The man who has planted a garden feels that he has done something for the good of the whole world." -- Charles Dudley Warner. I agree, she or he has done something good to benefit all of us.

20 comments:

Marcia said...

Such an unusual flower. Does it bloom continuously through the spring and summer?

Inger said...

Those books are treasures and the flowers a gorgeous.

Lin said...

I like Mary Oliver. She has good quotes too...mostly about nature.

Beautiful flowers!

Sandi said...

beautiful red!

northsider said...

Love the Thoreau quote. So true. Great photo and plant.

Rebecca said...

What a brilliant color; interesting shape!

Pom Pom said...

How wonderful that your uncle had such fine literary vision. Have you read The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (sp?) I loved that book.

Granny Marigold said...

Those brilliant red flowers on your shrub are amazing.
I like quotes too and sometimes remember to actually write them down.

Junkchiccottage said...

Such beautiful colors. I love all the quotes. Have a great rest of the week.
Hugs,
Kris

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Your flowers are lovely! The red is so vibrant.

Shug said...

Great quotes! I love flowers and this one is certainly eye catching....Gorgeous Red!!

Susan Heather said...

What a pretty shrub (if that is the right word for a plant that grows so tall)

Blondie's Journal said...

What a magnificent flower! I'm always amazed at what you can grow on the West coast, and this is exceptional.

I do love quotes about flowers and nature. Have you read any of the books by Thalassa Cruso? She is my idol. Her books are legendary but a bit expensive now on Amazon.

Jane x

Friko said...

What can be more peaceful and calming than grubbing about in the earth - unless you are trying to combat weeds which will just not shift. There’s a snake in every paradise.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

What a gorgeous plant. My son went to Chile for a volunteer program in Patagonia working on an organic farm there He loved the area so much. I do love quotes and like to add them to posts or even doodle them in a journal. And, of course, I love nature! :)

Liz Hinds said...

God indeed went out of his way to create beautiful blooms and such variety. He could just have designed daisies and left it at that.

Cynthia said...

I haven’t seen those before and they sure are pretty. I bet the birds and bees really like that vibrant red color. The

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a beautiful flower/plant! Do the hummingbirds come to the flowers? I would imagine they would if it has good nectar. They love red. I love your flower quotes...isn't it amazing how many varieties of flowers/plants/trees, etc., there are in the world? Each so unique and beautiful...created by our amazing and inspiring master designer...Almighty God!! We are blessed to be the recipients of such beauty! Thank you for sharing this with us today. Have a blessed and Happy Mother's Day!

Debbie said...

what a gorgeous, bright, beautiful shade of red. a flower i am not familiar with!! nice quotes as well!!

Simply Shelley said...

Your Bush is lovely and interesting as well. Blessings