Saturday, June 9, 2018

Pink Sky petunia and kitchen remodel begins

An impulse buy at the garden store; I like the pink with splashes of white on the petals, a Headliner Pink Sky petunia.
I am buying a new quartz kitchen countertop. This is a long project with many steps; I visited 3 stores to look at samples, brought home about ten samples and eventually selected the one I want. Last week a handyman who is highly recommended came over, worked all day, built a cabinet for a new built in dishwasher, put in the dishwasher (not connected yet), removed the old counters, old sink, gas cook top and installed a new gas turn off under the stove top.
Above is the old counter top, can you see the scratch marks and faded areas after 65 years of use? I have lived in this house since 1984 and the light grey marble like marks on the formica type counters have faded to white in some areas from years of cleaning.
Above is the empty place where the kitchen counter used to be.
Above is another photo of where the counter was.
Two days later the templater came over and exactly measured the dimensions for the counter, and then the company will adjust the cost estimate. I told him to add in a back splash about 5 inches high of the same quartz. Yes, the person who came is called a templater, a job I had not heard of before. He must measure so accurately because they cut the stone at their location and the counter needs to fit, and they also need to cut out for the stove top and for the undermount sink.
I showed these samples before, here they are again. I chose the one in the upper left corner, called Kona Beige. The stone will be 1 and 1/8 inch thick and will need precision cutting as the slabs are huge.
The counters will be one solid piece of stone, not tiles as the samples are. Actually my kitchen cabinets are a U shape so there will be three stone slabs. This is happening step by step as each part in the process is completed. Meanwhile of course I have no kitchen counters, kitchen sink or stove top. I look forward to the new counters. They estimate they will install the counter in two weeks. I am waiting for their phone call to work out some refinements of my order and to hear the cost.




25 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You are certainly going to have a different looking kitchen with the new countertop.

I hope it will be completed for you in a couple of weeks.

Meantime, relax and be blessed. Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

Jennifer said...

Ohhh, good luck on the cost! I hope it's less than you expect.

A new kitchen is exciting!

37paddington said...

I dream of renovating my kitchen. it feels like an impossibly huge step. good for you for getting it done.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Terra - love the petunia ... and your new kitchen will be wonderful ... cheers Hilary

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am looking forward to the 'after' pictures now that i have seen the 'before'.

justjill said...

Me too!

wisps of words said...

Do-overs are trying, but exciting tooooo!!

Just think how marvelous it will look, when complete!

Interesting petunias...

A 'Nana'

only slightly confused said...

It's going to look soooo good.

Retired Knitter said...

Getting a kitchen redone is a big job that interrupts your life greatly. I did some of that in the townhouse. You will be so pleased when it is done, however.

Mari said...

This is going to be great! I cant wait to see the after photos. I have a friend who has quartz and loves it.

Anonymous said...

oh this is exciting!!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

How wonderful! I know you must be quite excited to have it all ready to enjoy. ♥

Joyful said...

I too want to get some quartz countertops but it might be awhile yet. My kitchen countertops are not in bad shape but starting to look a little old. I think you will be very happy with the new kitchen countertops. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Betsy said...

How exciting. I remember getting new countertops a few years ago. It completely changed the look of the kitchen. I’m sure you’ll love yours when they are done.
Blessings,
Betsy

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Those are beautiful petunias. I bet you can't wait! They are going to be lovely.

Henny Penny said...

That petunia is very unusual. I haven't any here. It is pretty. New counter tops would be wonderful. We've lived here since 1989. Hope you will show us how pretty they look finished.

b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

I love a remodel better that anyone should. I truly think there is something wrong with me! Love your choices. You deserve it after all these years.

b+

kath001 said...

So exciting, and the changes make such a big difference. We did similar a few years ago, and I still smile when I walk in the room. :)

Michelle said...

This is exciting! I would love to have new counter tops. Looking forward to seeing your finished kitchen.

Anonymous said...

That will be so nice when it's done--bet it will look beautiful. Can't wait to see your finished room!

Unknown said...

I so know well your excitement. Which counter stone did you choose tho.
TTFN ~ Marydon

Jeanie said...

A very big job but it will be quite wonderful when finished!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

That is so exciting! I know you will love it when it is done. Meanwhile...lots of sandwiches and eating out in your future...but it will be worth the inconvenience. Can't wait to see it all done.

Linda said...

It is going to be awesome! I need to have new counter tops.....maybe next year!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, you are remodeling your kitchen! I can't wait to see it! Do show us when it's finished. : )

~Sheri