Thursday, June 28, 2018

Books I needed to buy, well I wanted to buy

Sometimes I find I simply must buy a certain book, which many of you dear blog friends can relate to.

Here are the tomes I recently acquired.
Laughing in the Dark by Chonda Pierce. I recently discovered her stand up comedy and watched her "Laughing in the Dark" show. She is so cute, that is how I describe her. Irrepressible humor, yet in that special comedy show there were sad undercurrents. Her marriage became difficult, her husband died and she is completely estranged from her daughter. Whew. Yet Chonda gets up on stage and entertains in a charming way. This book was published in 2007, before all the above mentioned heart break, and is about Chonda coping with depression while being hard at work as a Christian comedienne.

The World According to Bertie by Alexander McCall Smith.
I enjoyed the third book in the series so much that I bought this one, the fourth in the series. Bertie is 6 years old. Angus Lordie's dog Cyril has been taken away by the authorities, and is accused of being a serial biter. I have not read this book but must insist, Cyril is innocent. The first book in the series is 44 Scotland Street. These books bring me happiness when reading them. I found stashed away in my to be read shelves book two in the series "Espresso Tales" which I am reading now. Bertie's mom is quite horrid, in my opinion. His first day in a new school she insists the embarrassed Bertie wear strawberry colored overalls; she runs every aspect of his life, and pries into his thoughts as she quizzes the psychiatrist she makes Bertie see. I am cheering for Bertie, he is a smart little boy.

Finding God's Blessings in Brokenness: How Pain Reveals His Deepest Love by Charles F. Stanley.
I read about this book on a blog. One thing that attracted me is that this book has stunning photographs of nature illustrating it. I bought the hard cover so I can enjoy the photographs and I think the price was a bargain. The hardcover was one penny less than the ebook.

Southern Fried Divorce: A Woman Unleashes Her Hound and His Dog in the Big Easy by Judy Conner.
A blogger wrote that this is the funniest book she has read in her life and who could resist buying that? It is a "true story" and I look forward to reading it. She calls her ex-husband "That X" and he is definitely a bad boy. One day in June he surprised her with two Christmas gifts; a pistol and a puppy.
These four more books are on my to read shelves.

14 comments:

Marion said...

Now I need the Charles Stanley book. It looks really good. I have to reiterate how uproariously funny "Southern Fried Divorce" is. It made me laugh out loud in some of the darkest days of my life. She's a real character. She wrote another book of essays after that book, "The After Party". It was really good, but nowhere nearly as funny as the first book. Oh, and I'm so nosey I had to research her after reading the book. The guy she refers to as "that nephew" is really her and that X's son. He probably insisted on that considering the hijinks they were up to. xo

Jeanie said...

I love the Scotland Street series. Looking forward to lots of reading time this summer!

Lark said...

New books on your shelves that you can't wait to read is always a good thing! :)

Ericka @ A Quiet Girl's Musings... said...

LOL! Southern Fried Divorce sounds like a HOOT! You now have me intrigued! I'll have to check it out on Goodreads and add it to my TBR!

wisps of words said...

Great to find books, which we enjoy!

Sometimes, we have a long dry spell, in between such finds.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'll put all 4 of these on my reading list! I know I would like that last one and I've not started that series by Alexander McCall Smith. How I LOVE the Ladies #1 Detective series! Happy reading!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a neat collection.... That last one is one I really want to get/read.... The Charles Stanley one is one that I have read... I bought it for my son when his wife committed suicide in August a year ago. She was Bipolar --but we all thought she had been doing great... Devastating loss for the family...

Hugs,
Betsy

Ann said...

All sound like good reads. These days I do all my reading on my kindle. I just get free books and some of them have been pretty good.

Lin said...

Always good to hear about new reads. Thanks for posting!

Mari said...

These look like good ones. I agree that Chonda Pierce is cute too, and she really is funny!

Olga said...

I always love book recommendations.

Aritha V. said...

Love to read about your favorites! It makes me smiling.

Sally Wessely said...

These all sound like great books. Let us know what you think of them when you finish reading them.

Anonymous said...

Bertie is definitely one of literature's best child characters. I need to get that book!