Friday, September 16, 2016

"My Garden" poem by T.E. Brown


My Garden
A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot!
Rose plot,
Fringed pool,
Fern'd grot -
The veriest school
of peace; and yet the fool
Contends that God is not -
Not God! in gardens! when the eve is cool?
Nay, but I have a sign;
'Tis very sure God walks in mine."

Written by Thomas Edward Brown. 1830-1897. Victorian scholar, teacher, poet, and theologian, from the Isle of Man.
For my dear blog friends with different beliefs, please don't mind this poem, I wanted to share this because it is beautiful. Some poets from Victorian times have a mystical way with words.
The flowers are Canterbury bells and nasturtiums in my garden.

12 comments:

Linda said...

I love the poem and I love your garden!!!

Jennifer said...

I like the poem, and your flowers are so pretty! 🍂🍃🍁

Blondie's Journal said...

I think this is a beautiful, poem and your flowers are so pretty. I've always wanted to grow Canterbury bells. Do you think that's possible in the Midwest?

Jane

The Weaver of Grass said...

The second line is so often quoted here in the UK, but I have never seen the whole poem before, so thanks for that.

Ashley cramp said...

Terra I love my garden, my plants and nature. I also love these words and your pictures. Thank you!
xxxx

Janneke said...

I'm fond of poems and this is a wonderful one. Your gardenflowers are so pretty too, I love Canterbury bells, but have not got them in my garden this year and I should have sown them already for next year. Nasturtiums are great at the moment.
Regards, Janneke

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I know God walks in mine as well. That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

audrey said...

Hi Terra.
I have never owned a cat so I don't know much about them.
I looked the sore up on google and there is a lot of information there. I think that would be your best means of info at this point. It could be an infection, a tumor, or many other things.
Sorry I couldn't help more.
Your flower gardens are gorgeous!!

Britta said...

Hello, Terra, this is a beautiful Victorian poem, and I also knew only one line of it - thank you for sharing it. Gardens, flowers, nature - all touch the soul.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

A garden, in all beliefs, is a beautiful thing. The poem, Terra, was just lovely.

Ann said...

Your gardens are always delightful as is the poem. Thanks for adding a prayer for my girlfriend Terri.
Ann

Bevie Sams said...

I loved the poem "Terra" and seeing your beautiful garden was thrilling. My flowers are just about gone now, and will have to wait till spring when everything new starts popping up to share their beauty once again...most of mine are Perennial us see.
Thanks for sharing so much with us!!!