Sunday, March 29, 2015

Victorian era, Trollope and Finch

Anthony Trollope's book "The Warden" is a joy to read. The kindly Rev. Harding lives according to what his faith and his conscience lead him to do, which puts him in great difficulty.
This book was written in Victorian times and published in 1855. The Victorian era is during the reign of Queen Victoria, from June 20, 1837 to January 1, 1901. I bought all six novels by Trollope in "The Chronicles of Barsetshire" series, and the second book "Barchester Towers" is even more compelling. I am reading it now and cheering on Rev. Harding and his devoted daughter, Eleanor, as they face a world of complex forces for change and against change and power struggles in the rural church community.


I am also reading a new novel "The September Society" by Charles Finch, with Charles Lenox as the Victorian era gentleman sleuth and a possible love interest for him, Lady Jane. The first book in this charming series is "A Beautiful Blue Death", written in 2007. There are many nice features in this series including Lenox's close friendship with his butler, and Lenox usually saying yes to any heartfelt request, especially for solving a mystery, or finding employment for someone down on his or her luck.
I bought the 6 book Trollope series for 99 cents on Kindle, such a bargain. I immediately began reading the second book after finishing "The Warden." "The September Society" is set in 1866 so both Trollope and Finch are writing about England in the same time period.
I admire both authors and their writing and recommend these books.

14 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

I haven't read either, so will need to look into them.

Michelle said...

Thank you for these suggestions.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It is hard for me to read more than one book at a time. I am always in awe for those who can. My multi-tasking days are over.

Red Rose Alley said...

Terra, this book sounds delightful. I'll tell you a secret - I have always been drawn to the Victorian era. Not sure why, but I love the women's clothes during that time, and the homes were decorated with lovely treasures.

Have a blessed day, Terra.

~Sheri

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Thanks for the book suggestions, Terra. I have read a couple of Joanna Trollope's novels. I think she is a niece?? I have enjoyed them so will look for these books. I sort of fancy the Victorian era!!..Happy Easter..Judy

Audrey said...

Thanks for visiting, Terra. It's very nice to meet you! Isn't Barchester Towers wonderful?

Buttercup said...

I'm slightly shamed to admit I've never read Trollope, but you're inspiring me. I'm reading the latest C. J. Sansom volume, and I've got a volume of Charles Finch to read, too. Not enough time to read, even as a retiree.

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, Great reviews-they sound like wonderful books. Glad you got the second one at such a great price.
I will be posting about Taco Salad tomorrow-but simply it is just taking all the ingredients for a taco, substituting taco chips for tortillas and throwing it all together in a bowl.
Have a great Wednesday!

Jane the Booklady said...

Ooh, I love a good book recommendation! I've always promised myself I will read Trollope when I'm older... I suspect that time has arrived! Jane xx

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh I should make the time to read, how fun to have a series of 6 books to look forward to. You asked about keeping a spiral cut ham moist. I always get mine at Target and it always seems moist?

Carol

A Colorful World said...

Lovely book reviews. These look so interesting! Check out Springtime in Magnolia, our online book club by accessing on my sidebar! If you are interested, you can join and contribute by emailing my Mom.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm going to look for those books. I know we like a lot of the same books and I need to get back to reading again! Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

Deborah Montgomery said...

Thank you for the book suggestions -- they sound like ones I would enjoy!

LyzzyBee said...

I loved "The Warden" and am about to start "Barchester Towers". So wonderful to find a new author to love in your 40s, and to know that they did two great big series that you can wallow in!