Monday, April 19, 2010

Red Sun Sunflower


Red Sunflower Bush
Originally uploaded by Art Aspirations

What did you plant over the weekend?
I planted some Red Sun sunflower seeds. The packet says "vivid crimson red". In addition to the golden sunflowers, these sound gorgeous, so I planted seeds in my vegetable garden, some around my strawberry plants.
The stems will be tall so the sunflowers won't shade my veggies or strawberries, or that is my theory :)
My friend gave me the seeds so I will think of her as the plants grow.

Sunflower
The heart that has truly loved never forgets,
But as truly loves on to the close,
As the sunflower turns on her God when he sets
The same look which she did when he rose.
by Thomas Moore

8 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I love sunflowers. When I had a garden, I would buy packets of all sorts and plant them. I had many types, from small and cuttable for arrangements to the massive heads the birds so love for seed!
I think, of all the fine, frilly flowers out there, a sunflower is still my favorite.....

XXOO!!
Anne

Cindy said...

Oh I have never heard of red..please us know how they do!!

And the poem..You know the plants know Him!!

Stop by my blog..I am having a Girl-friend ..Kitchie swap!!

Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Sandy said...

Hi Terra,

Thank you for paying me a visit. Your sunflowers sound like they will be amazing. I have never seen this variety before.

I wish I had been planting something in the garden this weekend. I spent my whole weekend with a paint brush in my hand getting my new studio space touched up.

I hope you have a lovely week!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Just beautiful! I'm still weeding and mulching. I don't put out any flowers yet, 'cause we can have killing frost up to May 15 here in our frost holler.

Ya'll have a beautifully blessed week!!!

God's Little People said...

Hi Terra... vivid crimson red, that sounds truly gorgeous. What a sight that'll be amongst the strawberries!

JC said...

I didn't plant anything but I walked around & wrote down what I wanted to do. Just got back from a small local nursery with a few items.

Kimberly said...

They are beautiful! They will look great in a veggie garden. What a great idea.

Jenn said...

love love sunflowers... I planed some last week with my little people! ;)
still have more to put in the ground! fun fun! lovely poems to go with your pics... fun blog!