Monday, September 14, 2026

Annoying Things and Funny and Serious Things

 Self check out. Anyone else never use self check out? I tried it once or twice in a grocery story but needed help so what's the point? Also this trend means some check out clerks will eventually lose their jobs. I think if I do the self check out they should pay me! At least give me 20% off. What do you think? 

Another annoying thing. Some cities are charging a big fee to drive in city centers. Of course this doesn't affect the wealthy, they can easily afford it. Most fees like this hurt the working middle class.  

One thing that made me smile as I drove to work was when I drove the speed limit on a four lane (two lanes in each direction) city street and the person behind me also going to work where I worked tailgated so I would speed. I was in the slow lane of two lanes so they would pass me in the faster lane and rush ahead, but then we stopped at a stop light they would be right next to me. That happened pretty often. All that stress and risk of a speeding ticket for them and they did not save one second of time.

My list of annoying things is rather short. I am pretty easy going. I don't get road rage.

So this turned out to be a rather short list of annoying things. 

Below is cute Mr. Snoopy who is ever lovable and never annoying. 

 


A busy night at Stonehenge when trucks move the stones around for the time change. I have visited Stonehenge but did not know about the trucks moving the stones twice a year for the time change. Ha Ha.

Polish Cavalry Hussars saved Vienna in 1683 when it was almost defeated by Muslim invaders. They were told of the looming catastrophe by a huge signal fire lit in Vienna and the Polish king lit an answering fire meaning help was on the way. Then they arrived on horseback and saved Vienna.


15 comments:

Mari said...

You are so right about people driving fast and then getting nowhere.
I do the self check out a lot, but I do hate that it takes jobs. However, in my store they seem to have only one check out lane running and I'm too impatient to wait in that line.
Snoopy is always good!

DawnTreader said...

I nearly always use self checkout at my supermarket and am glad to avoid the queues. These days I mainly shop online with home delivery, though!
I have no car and haven't been driving since back in the previous century.

Ann said...

It always amuses me when people speed past me and I catch up to them at a stop light.

Kathy G said...

I use the self serve at the grocery store all the time. I usually only have a handful of items, and can get out much quicker than standing in line for a cashier.

diamondc said...

Oh my gosh Terra: I agree with you on all three mentions, I have such a dislike for tailgaters, the self check out I only used once, I am in agreement with you, about people losing jobs, soon with all this AI crap we will have people just sitting around and doing nothing. Have you ever heard the song in the year 2525, so much of that song is true.
We do not have pay to get into shopping centers but I am sure that is coming.

Catherine

Pamela said...

In the grocery store I never use the self check out. I like the interaction with the cashiers. The 100 yen chain, Daiso, has only self check out, no human cashiers, so I do use it because I have no choice.
I haven’t driven a car since I moved to Japan 15 years ago, but I still remember having to drive every day in the US and how stressful it was because of stupid drivers who endanger everyone else.

Christine said...

I have used self check a few times but prefer to go to a person. Sometimes I will even chat to some of the cashiers I see regularly.

Rita said...

I prefer using the human checkout. They need their jobs. :)
A lot of drivers make no sense to me--lol!
Have a great day. :)

Henny Penny said...

Oh wow! I so enjoyed this post!! I do not like and do not use self-checkout. Like a man in line in front of me in Walmart said recently, if I wanted to ring up groceries, I would get a job at Walmart. Oh, and I always smile when the guy passing everybody on the road ends up beside me at the stop light.

R’s Rue said...

Have a blessed day my friend
rkrsrue.blogspot.com

baili said...

dear Terra this is very enjoyable sharing :)
the stoneage moving by truck made chuckle :)
and real fun was reading about how people speeding up and still they were standing right beside you :)
i loved friendship quote so much ! how true
being easy going is very liberating actually
blessings!

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Terra your post made me smile...especially dear Snoopy. Hope you have a great day - Hugs!

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I am happy to be a new follower! And I never use the self checkout! I get nervous when the store employee just stands and watches me!

Stara vrtlarica said...

The Siege of Vienna is a fascinating topic. It reminded me of the battle that took place in Sisak 1593. when a Christian army of 4,500 soldiers launched an assault on June 22nd against an Ottoman force twice its size. During their flight across the Kupa River, between 7,000 and 8,000 Ottoman soldiers drowned, and Hasan Pasha Predojević also perished. The Christian army suffered only negligible casualties. In terms of military strategy, this battle marked a turning point in the ongoing conflict between the Habsburg Monarchy and the Ottoman Empire; for the first time, a military balance was established along the borders, the Ottoman conquest of Croatian lands was halted, and the groundwork was laid for the first offensive operations by Christian armies. This victory significantly boosted the morale of the Christian troops, and news of the great victory over the Ottomans quickly spread across Europe—as evidenced by numerous drawings, prints, and maps depicting the Battle of Sisak, printed in Vienna, Augsburg, Nuremberg, Ljubljana, Antwerp, and other European cities.

Susan Kane said...

the idea of raccoons making banana pudding will be stuck in my head all dayl.