Wednesday, August 7, 2024

August 9 is National Book Lovers Day

 

 
I love books and I know many of you do too. As you may know I am a librarian. You might want to treat yourself to "Beholding and Becoming: The Art of Everyday Worship" full of stunning art by Ruth Chou Simons, a busy mother of six sons. Yes, six! Below is another of her books I have, "Graceland: Discovering Timeless Truths Through Seasons of the Heart". Her paintings and art adorn each page.


When I learned August 9 is National Book Lovers Day I thought now that is my kind of holiday. Everyone should be given the day off to stay home and read. Or go to a park and read, or visit a library or bookstore. I posted this two days early so you can get ready for the 9th. This is a USA Day but people worldwide who love reading can join in. Blog friends Baili in Pakistan and Monica in Sweden and others around the world, I know you love reading too.

Jeff Minick wrote about National Book Lovers Day in The Epoch Times and he mentioned one book, Middlemarch, He will celebrate by reading the last 20 pages of what he calls one of mankind's greatest literary achievements. I have not read that book. Have you? 

Here is another author I love, P.G. Wodehouse and one of his books I have: "A Bounty of Blandings." The ninth Earl of Emsworth and his fabulous loved prize winning pig The Empress of Blandings  get me to laughing every time. Enjoy your day.


18 comments:

Debby said...

That's this Friday. I can at least spend a few hours reading on the 9th! Those two books are so feminine and, I'm sure, a very good read!

DawnTreader said...

Middlemarch by George Eliot is one of my favourite English classics, in fact I just recently relistened to it as audio book. PG Wodehouse is also an author I keep returning too :)

Mari said...

I have one of Ruth Chou Simmons books and I really like it. The Bounty of Blandings sounds like one I would like too.
Happy Book Lovers Day!

Rian said...

Thanks for the tip-off. I didn't know about National Book Lovers Day. I too love books and read 2-3 a week . Right now I'm in the middle of 2. Perhaps on the 9th, I will start another...

Margaret D said...

Tomorrow is the day - enjoy reading.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love to read too but have not read that book. I love mysteries and I'm enjoying a good series by Peter Lovesey this summer! Happy Book lovers day to you too!

diamondc said...

Terra: Thank-you for this post and the book reviews, I am an avid reader belong to two book clubs.

Catherine

MELODY JACOB said...

National Book Lovers Day sounds like the perfect excuse to indulge in some reading! Ruth Chou Simons’ books look stunning and seem like a wonderful choice for this day. I’m a fan of P.G. Wodehouse too—his humor never fails to brighten the day. I just posted a new blog post [www.melodyjacob.com], I invite you to read and let me know what you think about it. Thank you!

Shug said...

I wish I read more than I do....These look like interesting reads and I think I will check them out. I didn't realize your were a librarian. I was the elementary school librarian for a few years until my parents became ill and I need to help them. I enjoyed those years.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I didn't know about Book Lovers Day. Why not? There's Taco Day on Oct 4th. I love to read, and read every day. Just finished reading Stranded by Sarah Goodwin. Wow, a real page turner!

dori said...

She must be a fascinating woman: Ruth Chou Simons!! Six sons!! Lovely drawings decorate the pages of her book. I recognize a little bit me, wrtitng in my diary and make drawings. But I have ony three sons :))))
My days are complete, when I read some words in one of my favorite books, my best friends! Without my books I feel like without my friends..

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

That's definitely a favorite day of mine...reading books! I love Ruth Chou Simmons art and words. Such a gift!!

Sam said...

I read Middlemarch way back in what seems like another lifetime. Sadly, I only remember a broad outline of the book - along with how relieved I was to turn the last page. Felt kind of like scaling a mountain just because "it was there." lol

baili said...

Happy Book Lovers Day dear Tera!
Big thanks for mentioning my name in your post .
Liberian is indeed a dream job for me as well :)
I many times whished to have it but i was not holding degree required for it at that time.
None of these i have read sorry
But i love reading when weather is mild.
Best wishes

Joy said...

Hi, Terra. Thanks for commenting on my blog - looking forward to getting to know you a bit through your blog. xx

MELODY JACOB said...

What a wonderful celebration of National Book Lovers Day! Ruth Chou Simons’ art books sound like a true treat, and it's great that you're highlighting such a meaningful day for readers.

Middlemarch is indeed a classic, and P.G. Wodehouse always brings such joy with his humor. It’s lovely to see the enthusiasm for books and reading shared across the globe.

I’ve just posted a new blog entry and would love for you to check it out when you have a chance. Looking forward to your thoughts!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I missed reading your post until after the 9th, but what a fun day to celebrate. I enjoyed finding out you are a librarian! Middlemarch is a great classic book :) Many blessings to you!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I hope you enjoyed National Book Lovers day on the 9th. Those two books you highlighted by Ruth Chou Simons look beautiful. Thank you for sharing them.