Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Dandelion Bouquet, Dandy Lions

 

There are a lot of bright yellow dandelions blooming in my backyard. One man's weed is sometimes another man's flower, as they say. This is the first time as an adult that I made a dandelion bouquet. How about you?

I am reading "Cultivating Delight" by Diane Ackerman and after I picked my bouquet I read what she wrote about these plants. The French thought the serrated leaves look like the teeth of a lion and called them "dents de lion" or teeth of the lion. The English heard this as "dandelion". She wrote that she sees home owners patrolling their lawns like serial killers, hunting for dandelions to kill. She thought of holding up a sign "Dandelions are flowers too" but decided not to, in accordance with the first rule of friendly gardening "Mind your own garden."

When I was in grade school, maybe about 9 years old, I loved my teacher. I lived close to school so my friend and I walked to school. One day I was a few minutes late to school because I stopped to pick a fabulous golden dandelion bouquet for teacher. She was charmed by the bouquet and as I recall, she did not mark me tardy that day.

19 comments:

Shug said...

Interesting how these "flowers" got their name. Also interesting how dandelions have many uses, including culinary and medicinal uses. I think many of us have childhood memories of picking these things... Your story is so cute....

Ann said...

I picked a bouquet of them a few years back to take pictures of them. Ours are done now but I'll have to remember next year to pick some. Dandelions will always be safe in my yard. I like them.

Betsy said...

That was a sweet story about the dandelions for your teacher. I used to make bouquets and necklaces when I was a child. My hubby was one of those "patrollers" looking for dandelions to exterminate. I've always loved them. One man's weed is another man's flower.
Blessings,
Betsy

Debby said...

Of course dandelions are flowers - wildflowers! They grow on our hill. Some bloggers, use the flowers for dandelion salve so there are medicinal uses for them.
A misunderstood little flower!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Terra,
Aside from the bouquet, which is lovely in that vase, there are many uses for dandelions in recipes.
The young leaves are being used in salads and also the flowers are being eaten.
Just search for Dandelion Recipes.
In German it is also called teeth of a lion but in Dutch it is called: Paardenbloem or Horseflower.
Hugs,
Mariette

Mari said...

That's a sweet memory! Dandelions can provide lots of fun for kids; picking bouquets, blowing the fluff, putting the stems in water so they curl. We used to have great fun with them!

Christine said...

Love how they got their name!

Sandi said...

Very nice!

Granny Marigold said...

I've received many a bouquet of dandelions but I don't think I've ever been tempted to pick one for myself. As a child growing up in a French speaking village we called them pissenlit ( pee in the bed....possibly because of their diuretic effects?

Miss Merry said...

My grandmother taught me how to make dandelion necklaces and now I make them for my granddaughters!

Margaret D said...

They do look nice. Once my eldest son many years ago picked me a lovely bunch of these.

Latane Barton said...

Oh the lowly dandelion! Yet, how beautiful and sunny and sweet it is. I loved your post about it.

Emma Springfield said...

A dandelion bouquet must include violets. They bloom at about the same time. The colors are pretty together.

Pom Pom said...

It's true! I have been pulling an aggressive "weed" that I am wondering might be forget me nots! I hope I'm wrong. Your bouquet is lovely!

DawnTreader said...

I quite like dandelions, but then I have no lawn of my own to struggle with :) One of my favourite books since some time back in my youth is Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine, by the way.
Thanks for your recent card(s), I think I have some catching up to do...!

Sam said...

I love those flowers. Heck, I didn't even realize most everyone consider them a weed until I was an adult. I always thought they were "free" flowers. Of course, I wasn't trying to grow a lawn either.

Liz Hinds said...

We were always told that picking dandelions made you wet the bed!! They're very pretty though.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Dandelion flower heads are beautiful and you made a pretty bouquet with them. Lovely story about your childhood. Thank you for sharing.

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog