Saturday, October 28, 2023

Gold Leaves, Poem by G.K. Chesterton

 

Gold Leaves by G.K. Chesterton

Lo! I am come to autumn

When all the leaves are gold;

Grey hairs and golden leaves cry out

The year and I are old.

In youth I sought the prince of men,

Captain in cosmic wars,

Our Titan, even the weeds would show

Defiant to the stars.

But now a great thing in the street

Seems any human nod,

Where shift in strange democracy

The million masks of God.

In youth I sought the golden flower

Hidden in wood or wold,

But I am come to autumn,

When all the leaves are gold.

Thank you to Epoch Times for showing me this profound poem in your recent Life and Tradition section. The photo was taken in Connecticut by my husband Will years ago. The words "Grey hairs and golden leaves cry out, the year and I are old" resonate with me as a senior citizen. I find this poem to be very beautiful and profound and hope you like it too.

18 comments:

Sandi said...

It is profound.

I like your chair!

Cosmic captain makes me think of James T. Kirk. 🙂

Betsy said...

That is a beautiful, beautiful poem. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.
Blessings,
Betsy

Margaret D said...

Lovely poem.

Frugally challenged said...

A gentle reminder of the beauty of our later years. Thank you.

Mari said...

That's a great poem, and a pretty tree too!

Christine said...

Beautiful photo and poem.

Inger said...

That's a great poem and one that all of us who've been fortunate to reach a certain age can relate to.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely photograph and I enjoyed the poem.

All the best Jan

Linda said...

IT'S beautiful! I love Epoch Times!

Debby said...

That is touching. Thanks for sharing.

diamondc said...

Greetings Terra: I did see this Poem in the Epoch Times my favorite paper to read.
Thank-you for sharing this Poem with us.

Have a great week.

Catherine

Jeanie said...

This is lovely, Terra.

Tabor said...

Perfect place to sit!!

DawnTreader said...

Lovely photo, and good poem!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Lovely poem. Thank you for sharing.

Liz Hinds said...

It is a lovely poem. Needs reading several times I think.

magiceye said...

Lovely photo and beautiful poem.

dori said...

What a special time now, when daily light becomes rarer, but the light of golden autumn enlightens heart and soul. Many greetings and blessings from dori from the Golden Bavarian Forest