Friday, August 11, 2023

A Busy Week and a Funny

 


This has been a busy week. Who knew being retired can be so busy? At this point, most things I do are things I choose to do and the people I spend time with are people I choose.

We celebrated my older son's birthday at our family's new favorite restaurant and our three nonalcoholic drinks were so pretty I took a photo, see above. Mine is the pretty lavender color drink at the front, it had Rose in its name and was delicious.

The next day I had lunch with my two long time friends of 25 years who I met while we worked at the university. We went to a restaurant that has Greek and middle eastern foods. They even have a dish I love, flaming cheese, which makes me happy. In an earlier post I shared a photo of flaming cheese, with its three foot tall flames at our table. That Greek restaurant closed and now I have found a new one that offers that entertaining dish.

The day after that I attended Women's Bible Study at church with ten wonderful ladies. The age range is 30 to 80, I am guestimating. Two of the ladies immigrated to the USA from other countries, Jamaica and the Philippines, and we are a diverse group, united in our love for Jesus and for each other. The group leader brings her one year old daughter who is a friendly youngster, and her daughter even sat on my lap briefly, Those were treasured moments.

And a funny for you. Some readers like when I type out the words, Remember Life's Most Valuable Antiques Are Dear Old Friends.


 

Now this little old lady wants some quiet time at home.

22 comments:

Wanda said...

Sounds like a good kind of Busy. Looking forward to our Women's Bible Study which will begin in September. The study for this session is "Pursuing Holiness".

Mari said...

I keep hearing that retirement is so busy. It must be true.
Your Bible study sounds wonderful and it's always great when you have different ages and nationalities.

Granny Marigold said...

After your activity-filled week you deserve a lovely peaceful weekend.

Kathy G said...

I love the cartoon; it's so true!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Flaming Cheese, yay!

Betsy said...

We had a week like that last week. This one has been a bit quieter except for my annual physical on Wednesday. The ladies at are church are planning to join in with a podcast Bible Study this winter. I know ladies all over the country are doing it at the same time but I can't remember the name of it.
Take care and rest up!
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Margaret D said...

Your drink looks intriguing and as you mentioned it tasted good.
You certainly have had a social week.
Take care.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I often wonder how I ever fitted work into my week!

DUTA said...

Happy belated Birthday to your oldest son, and many returns of the Day!

Donna said...

Busy week here, as well...Birthdays and doctor appointments.
Love the Flaming Cheese meal! Fun...
hugs
Donna

Ann said...

I remember years ago when my father retired, he said he was more busy than when he was working. Nice that you only have to do the things you want to do with the people you want to spend time with.

Mevely317 said...

Those beverages sound interesting! I've only enjoyed the flaming cheese 'experience' once, when I lived in the Greek community of Tarpon Springs. Not sure any such places exist in central Alabama, but I'd love to try that again someday.

Inger said...

I loved reading about all you did and what a wonderful time you had. I've never heard of nor seen flaming cheese. For a cheese love, I feel I must have missed something truly great.

acorn hollow said...

I retired June 2nd and have been pretty busy since and love every minute of it.
So wonderful you have time for friends and family
Cathy

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Happy Birthday and best wishes.

God bless.

Christine said...

Fun times you are having. Love the meme.

Linda said...

My friend Brenda and her husband just retired and they are loving it! They still stay busy, though! At least Brenda does!!! He - not so much!

Debbie Nolan said...

Ah Terra - friends are such a blessing. Loved your funny. It seems the longer we live the more important those old friends become. Thanks for the recommendation of the book...am going out to my local library and hoping to order a copy to read. Have a wonderful week. God Bless!

dori said...

Good old friends are wonderful!

A full week: I know this, too. I try to be calm, but life wants me to be buzy :)

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

baili said...

Dear Terra how nice retirement is keeping you busy with things you love and enjoy: )
I found these drinks delightful.
Group study of bible sounds great and fulfilling!
I totally agree with your quote about old friends: )
Blessings

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I love that picture of the dear old friends at the end. Reminds me of a little song we'd sing in Girl Scouts years ago...:"make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold." We'd sing it in a round, and it was always a good reminder to treasure all of our friends, both new and old. I hope you are having a wonderful week. Take care and God bless you.