Thursday, March 11, 2021

Mary Oliver's Poem The Poet Thinks About The Donkey


 

I love donkeys and the poetry of Mary Oliver. Here is her poem "The Poet Thinks About the Donkey", so appropriate to read as Palm Sunday approaches. This year Palm Sunday is on March 28 and I think of Jesus riding upon a donkey and entering Jerusalem one week before Easter Sunday.

The Poet Thinks About the Donkey by Mary Oliver

 On the outskirts of Jerusalem
the donkey waited.
Not especially brave, or filled with understanding,
He stood and waited.

How horses, turned out into the meadow,
leap with delight!
How doves, released from their cages,
clatter away, splashed with sunlight.

But the donkey, tied to a tree, as usual, waited.
Then he let himself be led away.
Then he let the stranger mount.

Never had he seen such crowds!
And I wonder if he at all imagined what was to happen.
Still, he was what he had always been: small, dark, obedient.

I hope, finally, he felt brave.
I hope, finally, he loved the man who rode so lightly upon him,
as he lifted one dusty hoof and stepped, as he had to, forward.

23 comments:

Jeanie said...

This is lovely, Terra. Thanks for sharing this.

Junkchiccottage said...

Beautiful and so fitting. xoxo

dori said...

This poem touches my heart! It is such a holy, spiritual time now until Easter and longer. I always love the story about Jesus riding on the donkey. It is also the first mysterium four weeks before Christmas. Jesus comes riding on a donkey into our heart - -

Thank you, Terra!

The Weaver of Grass said...

She does write the most beautiful poetry doesn't she? I didn't know this one so thank you.

Linda said...

That's beautiful......

Olga said...

Beautiful

Mari said...

I like donkeys too and the poem is so good!

Marie Smith said...

Thank you for sharing it. A good one!

Granny Marigold said...

I enjoy Mary Oliver's poems and this one is one I haven't seen before. Very fitting for Palm Sunday which will be very different this year__as will Easter too.

Betsy said...

What a beautiful poem. Thank you for the reminder. Isn't it amazing how those crowds met Jesus that day on the donkey and the same people then called for Him to be crucified shortly thereafter.
Blessings,
Betsy

Evi Erlinda said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful and meaningful poem, Terra.
We are preparing for Easter :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

I have seen plenty of horses, but I don't think I have seen a donkey.

Gentle hugs...

Ann said...

lovely poem, thanks for sharing

MadSnapper said...

Truly awesome photo of the two donkeys and the poem that's one I have never heard and is truly beautiful

Inger said...

I did't know about this poem, thank you for sharing it. Donkeys are my most favorite animals. I ran the gift shop at a donkey rescue that used to be next door here and fell in love with these wonderful animals. They moved to Texas where there was more space for them to roam. I miss them so much, but now my neighbor has adopted a mini donkey. I'm looking forward to walking with her and little PB soon.

Green Girl said...

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing it here.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Terra - what a lovely poem and so appropriate at this time of year. Many love donkeys ... while Mary Oliver has such a wonderful way with words - thanks for sharing with us. All the best - Hilary

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Such a beautiful poem, and most fitting for this time of the year. Thank you for sharing.
My daughter has four miniature donkeys and one regular sized one who is twenty seven years young. They are characters all of them :)
Be well !
~Jo

Debbie said...

such a lovely poem and a wonderful picture!!

Evi Erlinda said...

Have a wonderful weekend, Terra!

Carla from The River said...

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh I love the poetry of Mary Oliver and this is a great one. Happy Easter season! xoxo

Barb said...

Hi Terra~

Beautiful poem! I pray as I approach this beautiful Easter, that I can be as obedient as the sweet little donkey.

Blessings,
Barb