Friday, January 29, 2021

Books I got Christmas 2020, My New TBR books

 

Santa brought me these five books for Christmas 2020. Isn't he thoughtful? They are just what I wanted, well in this case, Santa is me. Of course, I get easily diverted to other books so some of these may not get read for a while. 

My son Colt surprised me with a Kindle Oasis ebook reader for Christmas, and now all my 400 ebooks are loaded on to it. It sure is more slim and light weight than my old Kindle, which is 7 or 8 years old.

Live Not By Lies: A Manual for Christian Dissidents by Rod Dreher. My close friend told me about this book.

Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger. Many bloggers recommend this book and I am reading it now and enjoying it.

Portuguese Irregular Verbs by Alexander McCall Smith. I like everything Smith writes and I read this quickly. It has plenty of humor and is about a professor who specializes in a minute, tiny, esoteric subject and who struggles mightily to get recognition. There is even a sword fight and the tip of a nose cut off, and sewn back on.

Unto Us a Son Is Born by Donna Leon. I am reading this police/mystery series set in Venice, Italy, and this is about no. 17. I suggest reading them in order so you get to know the honorable policeman and his extended family.

Crimson Snow: Winter Mysteries, edited by Martin Edwards. This sounds like a perfect book for me to read in the winter. Two bloggers recommended this book.



In Bible study on Sundays after church the teacher said that having a study Bible is helpful. He has the Life Application Study Bible, and two students recommend that one too, so I treated myself to a copy. I chose the large print edition, which is not what I think of as large print, but the font is a just right size and very readable. Every page of the Bible, verse by verse, has helpful notes adding to my understanding. The more I read the Bible, and study it with other people, the more I learn and the richer my faith is. My friend, Terry, painted the book mark for me.

Of course since Christmas I bought quite a few more books, including A Gentleman in Moscow, The Silent Patient, The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis, and Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World by Max Lucado, which are all print books. For ebooks I recently added The Broken Way by Ann Voskamp, Agorafabulous (memoir), We'll Always Have Paris: A Novel by Sue Watson, Widowish (memoir), The Wrong End of the Table: A Mostly Comic Memoir by Ayser Salman and PriestDaddy (memoir, yes there are married Catholic priests). I buy faster than I can read. Ha ha. 

I counted the books I read in 2020 and it is 56. I think that is a nice number, I am not rushing through the books but am savoring them.

Did you get books for Christmas or in January? Let me know which ones you got.

29 comments:

The Feminine Energy said...

There's nothing more perfect than a gift of a book. Enjoy yours!! ~Andrea xoxo

ain't for city gals said...

I didn't get any books for Christmas but I gave to about 10 people Michael J. Fox new autobiography No Time Like The Future. It was GREAT! I will never complain again! Thanks for the posts on books. I will certainly check some of those out.

Juhli said...

I really enjoy that Donna Leon series too. What a nice variety of books you were given.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Ordinary Grace was very good; enjoy all of your new reads and your new Kindle. I have the Paper White which is about 6-7 years old now.

Pradeep Nair said...

That's a good assortment of book. Happy reading!
No, I haven't got any books. I am slow with reading mainly because of many work-related commitments. After I retire, I am sure I will get more time for books.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

You certainly have a good selection of books to start off the year. Enjoy your reading. Liz

Jeanie said...

I am loving the Donna Leon books and you're right about reading in order. I'm only just starting number seven but I've seen the characters evolve nicely along the way. I love the British Crime Library series and Martin Edwards' notes at the beginning are often as interesting as the books themselves, which are quite good. I haven't read this one and will be interested in seeing how you like it! Thanks for the other titles too!

mamasmercantile said...

I have a journal bible which I find useful, I am able to make notes in the columns and illustrate as well. Have a good weekend.

Granny Marigold said...

I didn't get any books for Christmas but that's okay because I'm rereading my old ones and then deciding if I'll donate them or keep.
I have the Life Application New Testament. It is showing wear which tells you how much I refer to it.
At one time I read several William Kent Krueger and I had sort of forgotten about him. Thanks for reminding me. I'll request this one from the library.

Mevely317 said...

I honestly believe, the best gifts are those we give ourselves. (*smile*) "Unto Us a Son is Born" sounds mighty intriguing; but yes, if I give Ms. Leon a try, I'll start with #1. "The Silent Patient" is/was one of my favorite reads -- loved the final twist. I won't say anything further, except it left me with my jaw agape.
Happy weekend!

Betsy said...

My goodness you are a HUGE reader aren't you? I used to read more, but I tend to watch utube while knitting more than read. I am able to hear/see lots of sermons that way and hear a variety of people's opinions. I've thought about joining audible but just don't think I would use it enough.
I also have a study Bible that I have learned a lot with. Dennis and are reading through the Bible out loud again together this year and I'm also reading it through with an online friend. I've read a few other books in recent months, but nothing earth shattering! :-)
Blessings,
Betsy

Tom said...

I got A Gentleman in Moscow for Christmas ... great book. Now I'm reading a book set in Caoe May, NJ ... don't recommend it.

Sam said...

That's a nice Christmas book haul...you did well.

I've already accumulated nine new books in January despite my best intentions not to let that happen so soon this year. One is the latest Michael Connelly novel because he's such a favorite of mine, two are Library of America books that were put on sale last week, two were Prime First Read freebies, and four are ARCs I couldn't resist. It's already starting to get away from me.

dori said...

The titles sound good and full of positive energy. To study the bibe is my dayly meditation.
Good books are good friends !

Mari said...

I got gift certificates for Barnes and Noble but haven't used them yet. Such fun to wander and look! I like the sound of your study Bible. I'm going to have to look into that one.

Gattina said...

I also have a Kindle since a few years, I am still very happy with it, because the screen on a smartphone is a little small to read in bed !

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Terra - what a great selection ... the McCall Smith book sounds an interesting read, while the Donna Leon books look like an interesting series ... wonderful you've read so many ... stay safe and thanks for the recommendations - Hilary

DawnTreader said...

I keep adding ebooks and audio books faster than I'm able to keep up with reading them. Printed ones only rarely, as my bookshelves are full and my eyes get tired from reading small print.

Debbie said...

oh you are such an accomplished reader. i don't read...except for blogs, very short stories and i love magazines. it's all my brain can handle!!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

There's even more books to choose from on my website. Some are FREE.

www.holyvisions.co.uk

God bless, Terra.

Britta said...

Dear Terra, you are an avid reader - and books we give ourself as a present are always a fine reward!
I love Alexander McCall Smith's books too, they are cozy. Donna Leon: yes, and with all the hundreds and hundreds of detective novels (I wrote my thesis about some) I do as you recommend: start from the beginning - so enjoyable to see the development of the characters. Thank you for the broad recommendation !

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I love that you read real books unlike me who uses a Kindle to read. Hope you enjoy them

DUTA said...

Kudos to you, Terra! You're quite the reader! I've sort of given up reading fiction. I concentrate on biographies and various guides mainly.

Marion said...

All the books look great. I like Alexander McCall Smith & have read most of his books. Last year I mostly listened to audiobooks due to Neurontin withdrawal/insomnia all year. I counted over 300 audiobooks and about 75 real books. They kept me from going crazy. I also listened regularly to about 20 true crime podcasts. Truly, I don’t sleep much! I got gift cards to Amazon for Christmas but I’m saving them for something special. I have the “Libby” app on my IPad and borrow all my audiobooks free for 21 days per check out. I love it!

I’m glad you have so many awesome reads. MyTBR pile is pretty tall, but I consider unread books money in the bank. xo

Aritha V. said...

Nice books. But I also love the boekenlegger ( the bookmark?). Super. I bought myself a Dutch Parallel Study Bible. Very nice one.

Green Girl said...

You have a great list--and I have read some of the same titles you pick (I always like to see when my taste matches someone else!). I'm intrigued by Widowish--that just ran across my radar this month. I'm reading The Mothers by Britt Bennett and I finished the latest by Anthony Horowitz. Next up: The Ghost Writer.

Amy said...

Well I am a huge bookworm, and have been most of my life. My bookshelf is full, I have no more room but the other half bought me a tablet so I've downloaded the kindle app and have been exploring their selection.

Buttercup said...

I didn't get any books as gifts, but I've been busy at the library. I just finished The Paris Library and highly recommend it. I'm also finishing Justice Sonia Sotomayer's memoir, which I've been listening to. It's been a great walking companion. I'm hoping to read fifty two books this year.

Lady Locust said...

Wow! Impressive. I had to get down to your description as I thought the one was really about verbs😂. (I’m part Portuguese.). Enjoy!