Thursday, October 1, 2020

3 books I ordered, Carol and I at the Yacht Harbor

 Our local bookstore needed help; they sent customers an email saying if they are to stay in business we need to do our Christmas shopping now! I debated going in the store but decided to use their online site, found three great sounding books, ordered them online, and they will contact me when I can drive there and pick them up curbside. So no going in the store. Much as I miss browsing in the store, I am a senior and am glad I can help the store in this safe way.

I haven't received these books so am not actually recommending them, though they sound wonderful.


"I've Been Thinking: Reflections, Prayers and Meditations for a Meaningful Life" by Maria Shriver. This book has wonderful reviews including "wildly gorgeous, inclusive and accessible."


"Church of the Small Things: The Million Little Pieces That Make Up a Life" by Melanie Shankle. I am attracted by this cover and have been wanting to buy this, so, voila. 


"House of Trelawney: A Novel" by Hannah Rothschild. This novel was published this year and sounds charming. An eccentric English aristocratic family tries to save their family home which is crumbling around them. The author writes sly humor and has been compared to Austen and Dickens. I haven't read it, so that is what reviewers are saying. 

Just for fun here is a photo of my friend, Carol, and me on our walk around the local yacht harbor. We wore masks but took them off for the photo. We also ate lunch harbor side at an outdoor dining venue, her treat. I had fabulous crab cake, real crab, and coffee. I am on the left, the photo is rather dark. We stopped on the deck of the yacht club and the manager, her friend, took our photo.



11 comments:

justjill said...

Nice to see you.

Billie Jo said...

How great of you to support your local store.
And how nice to see a photo of you!
Have a cozy evening, and enjoy your books when you get them. : )

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

So glad you're supporting the local bookstore ... the Hannah Rothschild one 'House of Trelawny' ... I'm definitely interested in. Lucky you to have weather to be able to sit out side for a short time and enjoy some lunch ... crab ... yummy! Wonderful to see the photo - take care - Hilary

Ann said...

That's great that you are supporting a local business like that. This is definitely a tough time for them.

MadSnapper said...

Hi it's nice to meet you in your picture. So glad you could help the local store stay open I know that they're all struggling this viruses just ruin the business. Have fun with your book

Lin said...

I have the Maria Shriver book and LOVE it! I keep it on my nightstand and return to it time and again. It is broken down into small reflections, so it makes it easy to come back to it as things arise. I really like how she is just a woman and a mom in her writing.

Cute photo of you two! Glad you are getting out safely.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely photo
The Shriver books sounds interesting, spiritual uplifting much needed in these pandemic times.

Kathie said...

I do love supporting local bookstores! Your books look fabulous (I added those to my TBR list). I have a special heart for real crab. God bless!

Jeanie said...

These all sound good, Terra. I just did my summer book post a few days ago and I felt good about it -- till I looked at the big stack sitting beside me from book exchange with friends! I might have to add one or two of these to my list!

Katie Isabella said...

Wel, Hello there! It's super to see who we enjoy reading and writing with.

Retired Knitter said...

Love the picture of2 friends just out for a walk!!