Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Feeling Blue, Give P.G. Wodehouse novels a try

I think that if you read Plum, as P.G. Wodehouse's friends and readers call him, his words will give you many cheerful heart moments. I find that his world of silliness is a good one to enter. If you are feeling down, or even already cheerful, read a Plum novel for laughter. Good news is that he wrote about 90 novels.
"It is impossible to be unhappy while reading the adventures of Jeeves and Wooster. And I've tried." -- Christopher Buckley.
Wodehouse is known for his Jeeves and Wooster books, and Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie did a brilliant job acting in the TV series "Jeeves and Wooster". So funny to me and to many.
Here are covers of some representative titles. My favorite Plum novel might be "The Code of the Woosters." I gave a copy to our minister when he left on a sabbatical; I have seen that being a minister is a very tough job and laughter can be applied as needed.
I find I can turn to any page in a Wodehouse book and find humor. Here is one random snippet from page 2 of My Man Jeeves. "After this," I (Wooster speaking to Jeeves) said, "not another step for me without your advice. From now on consider yourself the brains of the establishment."
"Very good, sir, I shall endeavor to give satisfaction."
And he has, by Jove! I'm a bit short on brain myself; the old bean would have appeared to have been constructed more for ornament than for use, don't you know; but give me five minutes to talk the thing over with Jeeves and I'm game to advise anyone about anything."
Another fabulously funny series is the Blandings Castle books featuring Lord Emsworth, not the brightest guy around, and his devotion to his prize winning pig, The Empress. See above photo, Uncle Fred in the Springtime, on the cover is the Empress taking a bath. Just the character names alone bring me smiles, uncle Fred is the Fifth Earl of Ickenham and he dependably drags his nephew Pongo Twistleton into trouble and somehow they survive.
Proverbs 17:22 reminds us that "A cheerful heart is good medicine".
Here is our esteemed author himself, living in the USA.

16 comments:

Lark said...

His books do always make me laugh. :) Have you read Cold Comfort Farm by S. Gibbons? That one always puts me in a better mood, too. :D

Mari said...

I've never read his books, but I loved Jeeves and Wooster. Will have to look him up!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Terra,
Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind comment on my resignation and retirement!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Laurel Wood said...

I have not read these books. Thank you and have a great day!

Friko said...

Oh absolutely. The best books to dispel dark and gloomy thoughts. He has been around forever and will still be read in many years to come.

Rita said...

These sound like wonderful, lighthearted books to read. :)

The Awkward Widow said...

I've not read these either! But now I will have to try one.

Thanks for the tip!

Carole said...

I haven't read one of his for years.. Thanks for the reminder

Retired Knitter said...

Sounds like a great series. I have to look them up.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have heard of him, but never read any of his books. You make them sound very tempting!!

Vee said...

I have only heard of these books in passing. Sounds as if I should give one a try. Laughter is good medicine.

wisps of words said...

Thank you for your good wishes...

✨🌻✨

wisps of words said...

Also, E.F. Benson's "Lucia" series! Deeeeeelightful...!

✨🌻✨

Blondie's Journal said...

I've never heard of this author nor these books. They do look fun and interesting! Thanks for shaming, always looking for a good read... :)

Jane

Rebecca said...

Thanks for these reading suggestions! I could use some light reading!

Jenny said...

Wonderful, wonderful author and great books. You've inspired me to read them again. xoxo