Monday, January 14, 2019

Scottish and French TV Shows I Recommend

I love this French TV series "Call My Agent" about the talent agents at the fictional biggest movie star talent agency in France. The main character is Mathias, played by the incredibly handsome and debonair Thibault de Montalembert and Camille Cottin plays his main rival in the agency. On a fun note his daughter joins the agency against Mathias' wishes and they need to keep her identity secret. A big plus is that world famous actual French actors play fictionalized versions of themselves, a different actor in each episode. The client actors are needy, demanding, gifted and need careful handling. In one episode the client actor gets so far into character of a crazed loner that he can not leave the character and begin his next acting job, so the agents have to help him in a clever way return to the real world. This show has 4 seasons, 2015-2018 and I hope for more. I am watching it on Netflix.

Still Game is a very funny Scottish TV show, set in the fictional Craiglang area of Glasgow. Two life long friends are played by Fred Kiernan and Greg Hemphill. They are pensioners who live on tight budgets in a stark high rise building. The guys and their friends get in to trouble with their mad cap plans and escapades. In one they visit one of the newfangled warehouse stores and get locked in at night. They set up tents and a grill and forage for food and beer in the store. The bartender, Boaby, at  the Clansman (their local pub) and Isa, a kind hearted gossipy lady who earns a bit of money cleaning at the local convenience store are two of the great characters. I watch this on Netflix. It has about nine seasons, beginning in 2002 and they made a final season in 2018. I  am happy to see there are 56 episodes. When my oldest son comes over to visit and hang out we watch an episode of Still Game, he loves it too. My youngest son and I like the comedy Corner Gas, a Canadian show.
I chose these two shows for my post because I think they are not as well known in the USA as I think they deserve. Are there any shows you have discovered and want to share in the comments?
To clarify, I am in the USA and watch both of these shows on Netflix. One blog friend says she wishes these shows would run in the USA and the good news is, they do if you subscribe to Netflix.

18 comments:

acorn hollow said...

and how do you see these shows in the US?
Cathy

Sally Wessely said...

These sound like fun shows. I actually have never been one to get hooked on series, but a month or so ago, I finally watched a show on Acorn called A Place To Call Home. It is filmed in Australia and is a family saga type series with the saga beginning right after WWII. My sister told me about it several years ago, and when I finally started watching it, I was hooked. Acorn is an extra expense, but it had British series, so I think I might keep it after I am done watching A Place To Call Home.

Betsy said...

Those look like great shows and I’m always looking for new things to watch on Netflix as I really don’t like cable much anymore. Two shows that my husband and I like to watch are both British murder mystery‘s. One is called Father Brown and the other is Midsummer mMurders. Both fun and keep your brain active, if a bit gory at times. Blessings, Betsy

Mari said...

These both sound good. I'll have to look for them. We love Midsomer Murder on Netflix. It's from England and is an older series, but very good!

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm really looking for shows to watch...thank you for these recommendations, my friend!

Jane x

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I think I would enjoy Still Game, as I am always looking for something to laugh at and enjoy comedies. I am looking forward to the return of Grace and Frankie on the 18th. Although it may be considered R rated, the humor, and especially Lilly Tomlin are hysterical.

Arkansas Patti said...

These sound intriguing but I don't have Netflix. Sigh.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Terra - I like the idea of the French one ... and as Betsy mentions some very old British movies - but good ones. Just enjoy them - cheers Hilary

Lilly's Mom said...

Thank you so much for sharing about these shows. I'm going to watch them on Netflix. Have a wonderful day, Pat

Cynthia said...

We need something new to watch and will try these out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sheila said...

I love Acorn. It has some excellent Australian and British shows. Check out 800 Words, Heart Guy and Brokenwood.

Carole said...

Is the French one dubbed or subtitled? I can get by in French but am definitely rusty. Cheers

Terra said...

Carole asked if the French show is dubbed or subtitled. It is subtitled, and I use subtitles for Still Game too, since they use words I haven't heard before, of Scots origin.

Terra said...

Sally thanks for recommending A Place to Call Home, on Acorn TV. I subscribe to Acorn, I think it is only $4.99 a month and that show sounds like one I would like. I put off watching Call the Midwife for years, and began watching it recently, another excellent show.

Blondie's Journal said...

I love hearing about new shows to watch...keep up these posts, and your book choices!

Jane x

Kay G. said...

Thanks for sharing this! Hope we might get these shows on American TV one day! Very often, we do get to see shows from England but they might come to us years later! xx

Beth Niquette said...

These shows sound wonderful. Wish they would show in America! :D

Liz Hinds said...

I haven't heard of Call My Agent. Is it in French with subtitles? Sounds good.