Friday, July 14, 2017

My top 20 favorite books


I've been thinking of doing a "My Top 20 Books" list and then was inspired when I saw Carole of Carole's Chatter and her sidebar. She has a nice Top 20 photo / illustration she said I can use. I believe that what we read (our books) and our gardens are forms of autobiography and reveal things about us.
These books are not in order.

Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson

The Belton Estate by Anthony Trollope. Actually any of the 17 novels I have read by Trollope.
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse. Any of his novels.
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson.
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. All 20 books in this series, this is the first.
Peace Like a River by Leif Enger.

Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley.
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.
Ireland by Frank DeLaney.
Emma by Jane Austen.
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.
Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat.
Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.
Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim.
The Hacienda, My Venezuelan Years by Lisa St. Aubin de Teran.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (all the Chronicles of Narnia).
The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus by Lee Strobel.
In Search of Lost Time. Swann's Way Vol 1 by Marcel Proust. Translated from the French by C.K. Scott Moncrieff whose translation has been rightly called a masterpiece in itself.
I was not surprised to see that many of my favorite authors are from the U.K. Wodehouse, Trollope, Patrick O'Brian and C.S. Lewis are giants of literary talent for me.
Do you ever experience Bloggers Remorse or Bloggers Ooopsy? Five minutes after posting this list I realized one of the best and most exciting books I have ever read was not on my top 20 list. Shame!
Instead of dropping one of the above 20 I am adding it: "God's Smuggler" by Brother Andrew.

This book is full of adventure, danger, Andrew's commitment to his faith and hope to marry, as he smuggles Bibles to countries where that act carries a death sentence.  It is a real page turner.

18 comments:

Sandi said...

God's Smuggler!

I remember reading that as a child. Was one of the places he went Yugoslavia? I remember something like the bibles were on the carseat next to him, but the guard either didn't see them or let him in anyway. Was that Brother Andrew?

Carole said...

Interesting list - will be checking some of these out in more detail. Several of yours would be on my list if it was an all time list - but I decided just to include books I've posted about - so that's only 6 years worth. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

only slightly confused said...

That's an eclectic collection.

Saimi said...

Wow, your like my sister - a very busy reader. It's good to know of good books to read so thanks for posting some. I've gotten lazy and like to listen to books so I can keep busy with other things. Kinda doing two things at the same time. When I'm invested in a good read I can't put it down - hence nothing else gets done so thats why I've turned to audio books instead.

Have a good weekend!
Saimi

Terra said...

Yes, Sandi, the guard at that border inspection either did not see the Bibles in plain view or else let him in anyway. Wondrous good things happened to protect Brother Andrew. He lived in great poverty and wanted to meet the right woman to marry, and I was cheering for him on both those counts too, in addition to his safety.

Pom Pom said...

Hi Terra! I'm definitely going to read The Belton Estate.

Michelle said...

This is a great list and I have written down a few titles. Thanks for the list!

donna baker said...

Oh my Lord, Terra. I'll have to go get a pen and paper. I haven't read any of those. And never Trollope. Now, these were all time favorites right? I'll have to go back and look. They must be superb if they are.

kath001 said...

Great list! Several of these make my Top 20 as well. My favorite that I read over and over is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.

Mari said...

I've read the Ladies #1 Detective Agency, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Case for Christ and God's Smuggler - all very good!

Sam I Am...... said...

Awesome list and idea! I wrote them all down except for the ones I have already read...The Chronicles of Narnia (complete), The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency and Lee Strobel but the rest I have to look forward to thanks to you!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, I always love your book lists! You've given me some to look for in the library. I just finished a Rex Stout book this morning and can't wait to read the next one! Happy reading!

Blondie's Journal said...

I always enjoy book tips from bloggers---ypu have a few great ones here. I am buying more than I should and need to work on that!

The Enchanted April was highly recommend and I found it to be very dry ad slow. Interesting but flowery (ha!) Thomas for the other books.

Jane x

Buttercup said...

I love the idea, but I don't know where I'd start. I'm thinking (off the very top f my head) Olive Kitteridge, Anna Karenina and The Hiding Place. Quite a range!

Patsy said...

Thanks for your list of books, I needed some help in
selections.

Terra said...

Oh Carol Z., it is so hard to pick only 20 but I do love to read these lists. Sometimes I find a book on someone's list that I know I must read. Like you I read fiction and non-fiction. The Hiding Place is a great book, thanks for reminding me, I will mention it in a future post.

Terra said...

Lavender Dreamer, I see you enjoy Rex Stout. I read most of his years ago and recently reread one, it is like new to me after so many years. His two main characters are so great; the detective who grows orchids and rarely ventures out and his young assistant who does all the legwork.

Rebecca said...

What an interesting list!
I'm going to hijack a few of them! Especially the Anthony Troloppe one.
As you might have seen, I finished The Memory of Old Jack by Wendell Berry. It would be high on my list right now...