Friday, March 10, 2017

Ooops, I have more books to read



Yes, I do have a reading habit. Ha ha. Sometimes books end up in my house and I almost don't know why. I am still moving a lot of books out of my house, giving them to the public library and to Little Free Libraries, but when I visit these dens of iniquity some (most) times I leave with a book or two.
I "accidentally" bought 5 books on Kindle last week: "Angling Bumateurs", the fifth in a trilogy (yes, you read correctly)  by Tottie Limejuice, "Amberwell" by D. E. Stevenson, and "Squirting Milk on Chameleons: An Accidental African" by Simon Penton, his memoir of living in Senegal, "We Have Lost the President" by Paul Mathews, and "Old Age Private Eye" by W. Blakely.
 Then at an aforementioned Little Free Library while giving away some of my books, I took "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood, and am reading it as fast as I can because the plot grabs me. [I finished it quickly and found I am disappointed in the book as there was no hero, no character to cheer for or to admire. The narrator, Crake and Oryx were losers, in my opinion and the near future was full of evil and lack of hope. I know many people like this book, so that is just my take on it.]
Then today while working as a volunteer at a retirement home library I saw the fascinating "Mistress of Nothing" by Kate Pullinger. I like to read books set in Cairo and this novel is based on the true story of Lady Duff Gordon and her lady's maid, Sally Naldrett, in the 1860s, so I am borrowing this one.[I read "Mistress of Nothing" quickly and enjoyed it. The maid had a tough turn of events in Egypt. I also read "Old Age Private Eye", a short book, with the bored and retired senior citizen on a whim putting up a sign saying he is a P.I. for hire. Humorous bits and a mystery of a missing body to solve.]
Since I wrote this I got another book at a neighbor's Little Free Library, "The Woman in Cabin Ten" by Ruth Ware, and I am reading it. It is exciting, the narrator is a troubled woman who thinks she saw a body fall into the sea while on a luxury cruise. But all passengers and staff are still aboard. That is as far as I have gotten.
In my Bible study group we are reading Colossians so I bought a book "Paul: The Prison Letters: Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians and Philemon" by N.T. Wright. Imagine Paul writing those letters while he was in prison.
Oh, and at the beginning of my post is a photo of my brand new Star Magnolia tree's first flower.

23 comments:

donna baker said...

Terra, I am reading A Man Called Ove and am enjoying it. Thanks for the recommendation.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I also love to read.

Your magnolia bloom is such a pretty color. Enjoy & happy spring ~ FlowerLady

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

All look good! Happy reading :-)

Linda said...

What is life without books???? You and I wouldn't know! And we don't want to!!

Blondie's Journal said...

I admire the varied choice of books you choose, Terra. I get into a rut buying books that are 'best sellers'.

Enjoy your new stash! :-D

Jane x

Pom Pom said...

Pretty bloom!
Is DOES seem like books go out and then more come in!

LyzzyBee said...

All sound like good books that you're getting to quickly! And I love the flower!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wow! You Do have an interesting book list! I do a lot of reading as well, but tend to follow series of books by one author at a time, and I get them at our local public library. That has been a real bonus to me since I retired...free books to read!!!

I love the magnolia blossom...really beautiful! so different from the magnolias here. Very pretty. Thank you for sharing. Hope you are doing well. I pray for you!

DawnTreader said...

Ooops indeed. I managed tolerably well nowadays not to buy too many "physical books" but when it comes to Kindle and Audible... I still keep adding more than I find time to read... :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

HA! "Dens of iniquity." I completely understand. I rarely have the fortitude to resist a book, even though I practically need a shoehorn to fit any more of them into the house. Thank goodness for my Kindle! At least the hundreds of books on THERE don't require shelf space.

Terra said...

Dawn Treader and Susan Flett Swiderski, yes, Kindle is very sneaky since it is not physical books; I know I have a lot of ebooks waiting to be read and I am not going to look and see how many I have there.

Linda O'Connell said...

Thank you for your visit. I have a stack of books. Sometimes i read three at a time in different parts of the house.

Sam I Am...... said...

Your magnolia is gorgeous! We have lots down here but I've only seen the white. they huge flowers with huge leaves! I also bought a bunch of "deals"on Kindle. I get Modern Mrs. Darcy in mt email each day with the best Kindle deals and more my type of books. I had a couple emails from other Kindle bargain or ebook deals but they were never anything I wanted to read....Mrs. Darcy is great! She has a great blog and podcast too. It's funny...none of our purchases were the same...not a one! Enjoy your books!

Anonymous said...

You have such great taste in books, I always take notes on what you've read that I haven't because we like much of the same stuff.

Buttercup said...

I've got a stack, too, and a few book reviews will be coming on the blog. I read Woman in Cabin Ten. Liked it, but I've come to realize I'm not a particular fan of the genre. Take good care!

Laurie said...

Hi Terra, I went to the library to check out some of the books you recommended. I just finished The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper, I really enjoyed it! I also have The Belton Estate which I've just started, and got a call that two more books are in at the library. I'm looking forward to reading all of them!

Hootin Anni said...

I do the very same thing, in a way. I don't donate, but I trade in books to clean off my library shelves here at home...but when I go to trade them in, I find MORE to read.

I too love reading historic novels based on fact. The 'truths' may be twisted in story a bit, but still, you learn a whole lotta things. Hey? Did I read that right? A fifth in a trilogy? lol

Unknown said...

I really like your magnolia. It is so pretty!

kath001 said...

I want a little free library. I've been looking at building plans. :)

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Add we do share an addiction!

I want to start a free little library. Maybe my husband can build one for me!

krishna said...

I also love reading books.. currently I checked out 5 books from library... let see when can i finish them..

Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

Cranberry Morning said...

You find the most interesting books, Terra! I'm always reading too, but have been on a long N.T. Wright streak. Have you read Surprised by Hope? It is a joy and comfort. I've been reading through your past posts and my heart sank when I read of your husband passing. A long, loving marriage is such a blessing, and such heartache at the loss of one so beloved. I am sorry.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Oh, I read "The Woman In Cabin 10". But as usual, I don't remember that much about the plot. Guess, like you, I read too many. :-)

Luna Crone