Tuesday, September 30, 2014

My Happy List part two

On July 8, 2013 I posted some things that make me happy, as part one.
ANGEL
This angel is one of my favorite treasures, which my sister bought for me at a rummage sale years ago, probably in a church. Angel is made from an old hymnal and survived being mailed from Wisconsin to me in California. Her dress is made from the folded hymnal pages.
 

WHIMSY
I buy things that make me smile and put them in my garden. Here is my Dancing Seagull from Goodwill.
  

FRIENDS
Yes, friends. They are the flowers in our garden of life. Thanks Sparkles for this suggestion.

QUOTES
I collect quotes, poems and Scripture and can find one to fit any occasion perfectly. Often I find quotes when reading blogs, and add them to my collection. I also collect words that make me smile and that are new to me. A British blog friend says she "took a bimble" and I like that word, it means a stroll, often with no particular purpose, but in a friendly manner. Another British word I learned from Sparkles is "naff", which means unstylish or lacking in taste, or as a verb "to goof off".

BREEZE
A gentle breeze, and sometimes a brisk one, is always appreciated by me, especially on a warm or hot day. Sometimes heaven gets my attention with the touch of a breeze on my face and I even wrote a poem about that.
I walk along the ocean several times a week and there is always the kiss of a breeze on even the hottest day.     

WALKING
I walk along the ocean two or three times a week. Walking is good for my body and my soul. There is a "little free library" three blocks from our home and sometimes I stop on my walk and donate a book or two. Do you have a little free library? They are handmade little boxes on posts, people put them in their front yards near the sidewalk, they hold about 20 books and you can take or donate a book. 

24 comments:

Michaele said...

What a peaceful post. I remember making angels like that when I was a kid. Thanks for the memory. I love the idea of the book exchange!

Lady Jane said...

Lovely post Terra. Reading it relaxes me. I love the angel and your bit of whimsy for the garden.

Linda said...

I love your happy list!! And I love the idea of the free library. I guess that's like the book basket at the hair salon my mother goes to. I often leave a book in the basket after I'm finished with it!

Pom Pom said...

Aw! Good stuff! You're so right about the walking! I love words, too!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a sweet post! It made me happy reading it. Your angel is a dear and the seagull on the ball is a hoot.

I love the word bimble.

What a great idea the 'free library' is!

Happy Fall dear Terra ~ FlowerLady

Beth said...

The angel is beautiful!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Enjoyed reading about your happy list. Someone in my area started a free library, but don't think it lasted long - don't know the details.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Very sweet angle from a book! Enjoyed your happy list. Yes, there is a little box library in my neighborhood!
I would love to walk on the beach a few times a week.
warmly,
deb

Kimmie said...

I love your Angel. How sweet is she!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

The angel is truly a treasure! I also loved this post--Its given me the chance to get to know you a bit better, and to realize we have a few things in common!

Carla from The River said...

I love the angel.
Yes, we have Little Libraries too. I just love to visit them as well.
I did a post last month about one we visited in Southern Wisconsin, Angies Little Library. :-)

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

You wrote about the sweet things in life that give you joy. Reading it, gave me joy also.

doodles n daydreams said...

I love the book idea - a free library. I have just donated several books to go into a booksale. I enjoyed reading your post, a lovely simple happy list.

Diana

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Terra - what lovely thoughts here .. I love those sculptures made from books - they're very clever. And the whimsies ... and the walking and the 'free library' idea - we have places here ...

But this post just breathes fresh air and thoughts ... cheers Hilary

Stephanie said...

What a lovely posts, dear Terra :) And the angel is so beautiful and charming!

Hugs to you!

Simply Shelley said...

I love your crafty sweet angel. Gives me an idea for a Christmas gift. Thanks for sharing, it's fun seeing what things make others happy. Blessings friend

Susan said...

Adorable angel and dancing gull, Terra. Loved them.

Ohhhh, I've seen those little free libraries. I'd love to have one! Susan

happyone said...

What a lovely post. Such wonderful things make you happy. Many of yours make be happy as well.
You know I like to walk!!! : )

I've seen those angels before and they are truly beautiful.

bj said...

Hi, Terra...I was so glad to see you came for a visit...been too long since I've "seen" you, sister friend. :)
Pretty Angels...

Susan said...

We have a little free library. It is outside our micro brewery which might seem an unusual place but it works.

Anonymous said...

the angle is amazing, she is so lovely, the thought of walking by the ocean is a dream for me and the free libraries are something I have never heard of, I think you live in a wonderful spot!

Deborah Montgomery said...

What a blessing to be able to walk on the beach several times a week! I only get to do that a few times a year, and it is one of my favorite things. Love your little hymnal angel. I love to collect quotes, too, and British words are quite fun, aren't they?

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Terra! It is fun to read your list and learn the things that bring you happiness. That angel is so cute. I remember making Christmas trees from old Reader's Digest magazines a long time ago by folding the pages the same way.

Thanks for stopping by to see me!

Kathy M.

Rebecca said...

I'm in the "thinking" stages about putting a free library along the sidewalk in front of our house. I SO love the concept.

I was intrigued by the books you bought at your Goodwill store....I'm going to tell my husband about the detective series.

I'm looking forward to walking more. Just anticipating being able to makes me happy :)