Sunday, August 23, 2009

English Cucumbers


Cucumbers
Originally uploaded by La Grande Farmers' Market

I harvested our first two English Cucumbers from the garden today. I grew them on a tomato cage so that the cucumbers hang down and grow not touching the ground.

The one I planted is English Telegraph Cucumber, and these cucumbers are long and thin and they are delicious. We like them sliced with celery salt or lemon pepper, or sliced thin in plain yogurt with dill, salt and pepper.

Do you grow a favorite type of cucumber or have a recipe to share here? We would love to hear it.

4 comments:

Victoria Williams said...

We grew one cucumber plant this year and I keep forgetting about it. Guess I'd better check and see if we have something to harvest!

TAILS of TANKENE said...

Yum. Another favorite are Lemon Cucumbers: they are round and tasty too.

TAILS of TANKENE said...

Cucumber salad is made with thin sliced cucs, garlic & onions chopped fine, olive oil, Balsamic Vinegar, salt & pepper to taste. Very refreshing.

Aunt Angie said...

I have had to worse luck with growing ANYTHING except weeds this year! My tomatoes were pitiful! I love cucumbers but didn't plant any---planted 4 squash plants...and only had 1 squash produce!

Worse year I've had in gardening...of course it was only in my flower bed....maybe the soil was wrong...hmmm, this could be a spiritual blog!

Thanks for your kind words on my blog this week!