Friday, May 20, 2016

Book Beginnings: On the Move: A Life by Oliver Sacks


"When I was at boarding school, sent away during the war as a little boy, I had a sense of imprisonment and powerlessness, and I longed for movement and power, ease of movement and superhuman powers."
The above is the first sentence from Oliver Sacks' autobiography "On the Move", and as a young man he discovered a feeling of movement and power when riding his motorcycles in England and America.
On page 56 he wrote about his brother Michael, and Michael's first psychosis event. "He felt a magical and malignant world was closing about him."
Here is a review I posted on Amazon.


"This is one of the most compelling autobiographies I have read, and I read a lot of them. I admire Oliver Sacks who was a brilliant neurologist and researcher who helped many patients. This is a glimpse in to the life of a man who was a gifted physician. The movie Awakenings was based on his work with patients. He lived alone and had long friendships with respected poets including W.H. Auden, and medical researchers including Francis Crick (who won a Nobel Prize for revealing the secrets of DNA). Sacks was unconventional, broke rules to help patients, and had a passion for his motorcycles and weight lifting in his younger years. I was pleased that when he was 77 he finally fell deeply in love and found a partner. All of this is told in a way that is entertaining and thought provoking, as Sacks himself surely was."
I am linking to Rose City Reader for book beginnings.
I am also linking to Fredas Voice for project 56 where bloggers share something from page 56 of a book we are reading.

15 comments:

donna baker said...

I just bought that book Terra and his last book, GRATITUDE after he found out his illness was terminal.

Terra said...

Donna Baker, I did not know about his book Gratitude and will look for it. Thanks for the tip.

Unknown said...

This looks like a good memoir. I'll have to check it out. Happy Reading!

LyzzyBee said...

I meant to get this and read it before he passed away, when I knew he was so ill, but I didn't get to it in time and now I have to wait a bit. But it's great to know how good it is from several people!

fredamans said...

Sounds fascinating. I fixed your link again, no worries. Happy weekend!

Sam I Am...... said...

He sounds like a fascinating individual and happy to see someone who lived alone admired and not pitied! I've got to read this book! And also his Gratitude book. Thank you for your review.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

This sounds like a fascinating story about an important person. I think I'd enjoy it.
My Friday post features THE LIE THAT TELLS A TRUTH.

Michelle said...

Thank you for this review. I have been looking for a new read.

Lady Jane said...

Thanks for the review. This looks like a wonderful read. Hugs, LJ

Maria said...

I enjoyed the beginning and imagine it's the way many young men felt during that time period. I loved the movie "Awakenings" and have to admit that I know nothing about the doctor other than he accomplished a lot of good for patients. I'll have to add this to my list. Here's my Friday meme

b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

You made me do a little research on Oliver Sacks. I have been aware of him for many years but didn't take notice until you posted this review. I will read his books and probably all the others. Thank you.

b+

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Thanks for the insights!

Rebecca said...

I'll have to request this book from our library loan system. Sounds interesting. I'm currently reading "Circling the Sun" by Paula McLain. It's good writing!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Hi Terra! We have not seen each other in such a long time. We have read a book by Oliver Sacks and loved it. "The Man Who Thought He Was A Hat" was the name. We must buy this one now!! I believe he is no longer with us, as of pretty recently? Your black eyed lily is amazing, wondrous, and beautiful!! It must be very rare!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I made a mistake on the name of his book that we read. It is called "The Man Who Thought His Wife Was A Hat". You would love it. Each chapter tell a different story about his strangest patients.