Saturday, November 13, 2010

Nanaimo Bars Recipe, Chocolate and Butter Cream

A friend at work introduced me to the sinfully delicious chocolate Nanaimo bars. She brought them in to work to share at Christmas and we all went into transports of joy as we tasted them.
There is chocolate and butter and sugar galore in these treats, which originated in the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada.
The recommended size for the pan is 8 inches by 8 inches, sprayed with vegetable oil or covered with parchment paper. The recommended custard powder is Bird's, which you can find online or in specialty shops, or you can substitute vanilla pudding powder. I bring the butter to room temperature before beginning. I don't have a double boiler so I use a large saucepan with water in it and a smaller pan leaning in the large pan.

Ingredients for bottom layer:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1/4 cup white sugar, 5 TB cocoa powder, 1 egg beaten, 1 and 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup chopped almonds, walnuts or pecans, 1 cup shredded or flaked coconut.
Melt first three ingredients in double boiler, gently whisk in egg, stir in rest of ingredients, and press in to greased pan. Refrigerate for about an hour.

Ingredients for second layer:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, 2 TB cream or milk, 2 TB vanilla custard powder, 2 cups confectioners sugar.
Cream together 1st three ingredients, then add sugar and stir until smooth, then spread over bottom layer.
Top layer:
4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (one ounce each), 2 TB unsalted butter.
Melt these slowly, when a bit cooled pour on top and chill in refrigerator.
To prevent the top layer of chocolate from cracking when cutting, use a sharp knife and bring to room temperature before cutting.
This recipe gives about 16 servings and I read that they are about 300 calories, but I don't know for sure about the calories.

Prepare to be very popular when you share these Nanaimo Bars.

16 comments:

Mari said...

I got this recipe from my MIL some years ago and you are right - it's wonderful!

Chatty Crone said...

They sound yummy. Thanks for sharing. sandie

Chatty Crone said...

These look delish. Thanks for sharing them with us. sandie

Rosaria Williams said...

I can't wait to make my own.

gayle said...

Sounds so good!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

These sound WONDERFUL...now it is up to the taste test.

Thanks for this dear!

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

BumbleVee said...

oh, yehhhhhhh

one of our favs...... my Mom used to make the best ever.... and I can't find her recipe...but, definitely Bird's.....

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Terra,
YUMMY!!! I'm such a sweet gal LOL Love my sugar and chocolate!
Warmly,
deb :)

farmlady said...

Oh boy, this sounds good. Anyone want some fresh chicken eggs for the recipe. I've got tons....

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh My! I'm afraid to make them, because I might not ever share them. I might eat all of them all by myself. They sound so delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to make these. laurie

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Oh my, this sounds so stinkin good!
Thank you for rhe nice comment on my win:) Can't wait to go shopping:)
Terry

Anonymous said...

Dear Terra, Bird's custard powder.... that transported me back to the 1960s when it was served with every pudding everywhere. It is very yellow....I have always wondered why!!

Your chocolate bars sound sinfully delicious. Just looking at them would put inches on my hips I am sure!!

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Oooooh! These sounds fantastic!!!
Have a great week!
Coralie

Winchester Manor said...

Yummalicious! They sound so good...thanks for the recipe!!

xoxo
Karyn

GardenOfDaisies said...

These really are delicious! And don't you know there are no calories around Christmas time?
My son loves them!! I posted this recipe a few months ago too... it's a favorite for all of us.
:-)

Amrita said...

Terra your Baklava recipe is so good. Wish I had the ingredients for it. I have written about it on my blog and do so on my group blog too.