Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Books You Loved: April Edition, John Caldigate by Anthony Trollope

This is my first time joining in with Books You Loved and I chose "John Caldigate" by Anthony Trollope.



I adore this book. It was published in 1878 and has a love story, is mainly set in the English countryside, John Caldigate has a wild and rough few years spent in the Australian mining camps, Hester has a mother who is severely religious, there are scoundrels, the mysterious and alluring Mrs. Smith, a trial, a verdict, and a favorite female heroine of mine. She is Hester, and she falls in love with John Caldigate. They met only twice before their marriage; he loved her since the first moment he saw her in England and his love helped him survive the tough life in Australia. After they are married the question is raised: is he a bigamist? Did he marry a woman in Australia? Hester stands up to her family and stays true to John. When it looks like John may have a trial and if convicted, face prison, Hester says to him “Thank God, I am strong, John, and I can bear things that would break down other women. You shall never see me give way because I am a poor creature.” Trollope then adds “Certainly she had a right to boast that she was not a poor creature.” 

To see more Books You Loved chosen by bloggers visit Books You Loved
Caroles Chatter is hosting this event. 

8 comments:

Carole said...

So glad you joined in. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Happy ending or was he really a cad?

Terra said...

Hi Starting Over, I didn't say if it was a happy ending or if he was a cad, so there'd be no spoiler for people who will read it.

only slightly confused said...

Well now I have to read it.

Elizabeth said...

Sounds good.

I am so glad you joined in Carole's BOOKS I LOVED.

You can find a lot of books to add to your TBR stack. It is fun to see other books and to meet other bloggers and readers.

Nice chatting.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Blog

Librarian said...

It sounds like something I'd enjoy, too. Must really look into Trollope's work!

Lowcarb team member said...

Sounds a good book to me, many thanks for the review.

All the best Jan

liparifam said...

Have you read Edmund Persuader?? Check it out on Amazon - you would love it!