Friday, October 21, 2016

Book Beginnings: Enchanted April


Here is the beginning of "The Enchanted April" by Elizabeth von Armin.
Mrs. Wilkins at her Woman's Club in London on a miserable February day read the following in the Agony Column in the London Times.
"To those who appreciate wisteria and sunshine. Small mediaeval Italian Castle on the shores of the Mediterranean to be Let furnished for the month of April. Necessary servants remain."
Wow, I think her life will take an excited turn this April.
I am linking with Book Beginnings

Here is a quote from 56 percent of my Kindle book.
"Often she had met wives who didn't want their husbands either, but that made them none the less indignant if they thought somebody else did, and none the less sure, when they saw them hanging round Scrap, that she was trying to get them."
I am linking to Friday 56
There was a movie made of this book in 1935 and in 1992.
I just finished reading "The Enchanted April" and it now has a place of honor in my top 25 all time favorite books. Easy to read and full of happy surprises for these four troubled ladies.
Thanks to Jennifer for recommending this book, on her blog at Sparrow Tree Journal

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Terra, Sounds like a very good book. I appreciate you sharing with us.
Hope you are enjoying the day and that your weekend will be nice.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

That beautiful cover alone is enough to make me want to read this book. I love the 56 excerpt.
My Friday post features The Midwife of Hope River.

Jennifer said...

Hi Terra! Thanks for the link to my blog. My favorite books by Elizabeth von Arnim are Elizabeth and Her German Garden and The Solitary Summer, but Enchanted April is good too!

Breana M. said...

This sounds interesting. Thanks for mentioning it. :-)

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Hey, I believe I've read that book! It's been a while, so I don't remember the details...but I loved the opening just like you posted...that was the hook that got me interested in the book. Let us know how you like it.

Have a blessed and happy weekend.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Sounds like a good book! That saying about the wives is so true, don't want anyone else around them

Lark said...

I love this book! It's one of my favorites, too. That dream of running off on vacation to a sunnier castle in Italy...who doesn't want that?

Sam I Am...... said...

Okay, I wrote that one down but now you've got me wondering about the other 24! LOL! Are you going to share those with us some day?

Tamara said...

Love the way this starts... I'd be heading to the castle too.... thanks for sharing your thoughts. High praise to put it in the top 25.

Terra said...

Jennifer, I bought Elizabeth and Her German Garden before I bought The Enchanted April, but read this one first. Lark, so true, let's run off to an Italian castle like those ladies did in the novel. And in 1922 it was a total of 60 pounds, plus money for food and servants' pay. Quite reasonable even in those days. The ladies paid 15 pounds each for the rent.

fredamans said...

Not something I would normally pick up but it does sound good. Happy weekend!

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Sounds very good with a beautiful cover.

Lauren @ Always Me

Unknown said...

sounds like a lovely book! Here is my 56: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/friday-566874505

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Terra - sounds like a fascinating book .. I've added it to my Wish List ...

Good luck with your writing .. cheers Hilary

JoAnn said...

Loved this book - enjoy!

Fairtrader said...

Hello Terra!!
I read your comment on my latest post, thank you!! I can't comment even on my own blog.
I envy you a lot, these days I hardly read at all. Life is quite a mess and when I try to read I fall asleep. However, I too have my favourites and when I take the train to Stockholm in december I will for certain do some reading. You write as well, that is very exciting. Good luck with that. I have been trying to write some short stories in my other blog, writing a book would be a challenge.
I like that statue of virgin Mary too, so serene and strong. Keeps ones mind on the blessings we have been given.

Lady Jane said...

Wonderful sounding book. I will have to look for it. lj

Stella Jones said...

I haven't read this book, but I have seen the 1992 film, which was excellent. Thank you for the recommendation. I'll put it on my reading list.

Red Rose Alley said...

This book sounds delightful. I must get back to reading, Terra!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book. :)

~Sheri