Friday, August 19, 2016

Book beginnings: "Merry Hall" by Beverley Nichols

Above is the cover of one of the 4 books I bought at Goodwill today. These covers are enchanting, don't you think?

Above is a photo I took of the gorgeous set of books by Beverley Nichols I bought at Goodwill today.
The first one I will read is "Merry Hall" which is the first in a trilogy, the second book in the trilogy is "Laughter on the Stairs",  followed by "Sunlight on the Lawn". The other book is "A Village in a Valley."
Nichols writes about the elegant but rundown mansion and gardens he fixes up and the wonderful people who live nearby in the small village. On the dust jacket it says Nichols' writing is "high-spirited, riotously funny, and, at times, deliciously malicious." Just my cup of tea in reading.
For Book Beginnings I quote the first two sentences in Merry Hall: "Some fall in love with women; some fall in love with art; some fall in love with death. I fall in love with gardens, which is much the same as falling in love with all three at once."
Friday 56 at  Fredas Voice asks us to share a bit from page 56. Here goes my choice: "But a glass of champagne, for some mystic reason, is different; it is to wine what Shelley was to poetry; it gives wings to the spirit." This led to Nichols setting a hedge on fire, a rather dangerous feat and a decision fueled by enjoying champagne. My kind of guy, ha ha.
I am linking to Book Beginnings at Rose City Reader

21 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've read one gardening book by Nichols, and I loved it! What a lucky find that set of books was for you! I rarely find anything very good at my local Goodwill. I'm envious, dear friend!

Sam I Am...... said...

Those books sound like they are right up my alley too! I love book covers and buy many books based on the covers. Those are some beauties!

Marcie said...

These look wonderful! Great thrift shop find!

jerilanders said...

I like his style of writing, a lot. I hope it indicates that you'll have some good reading ahead.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These sound like books I would enjoy. I am reading mysteries by Charles Finch right now and I know you would like them too. Have you read any by this author? Hugs, Diane

Pondside said...

Aren't they lovely books. I have all of them and for years searched for them and gave them as gifts.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

What great bargains! I love the covers on all these books, and I think I'd enjoy the stories too.
My Friday post features CHASING CHARLIE.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I remember reading these books many years ago and really enjoying them.

fredamans said...

Cute books! Happy weekend!

DeniseinVA said...

Looks like a lovely selection.

Breana M. said...

Great finds! I haven't read this series, but it looks interesting.

Blondie's Journal said...

All of these books look so good and from the comments it seems like I'm missing out! Thanks for the reviews!

Jane

Nicole said...

Lovely books and they sound like a lot of fun. Great find at the Goodwill, I almost never find anything at the Goodwill here. Happy Weekend!

Blondie's Journal said...

I've never heard of these books but I get the best choices by bloggers! Thank you, I have these on my list!!

Jane

Pom Pom said...

Hi Terra! Thanks for the book suggestions.

Jane the Booklady said...

Such lovely covers, who was the artist? I have copied the quotation about champagne- love it! Jane xx

tina said...

I'm going to have to look for these. I've never seen or heard of them before but they sound enchanting for sure. I can just imagine restoring an old garden. Oh the delights of discovery!

Summer said...

The book covers are really pretty ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I worked on a book post for tomorrow and put a link to your blog in it too! Hugs!

Anni said...

Indeed, sounds like ALL the books would be enjoyable to read!!!

Like the book jacket art.

Debra said...

Wow, Terra! That's one of the best book finds from Goodwill, ever! I read his books years ago, but had forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder and congrats on your terrific book finds! Blessings, Debra