Tuesday, June 28, 2016

16 books from library benefit book sale

I came home from the book sale to benefit our public libraries smiling like a satisfied cheshire cat and told my husband "It feels like Christmas". I had a bag of books I bought with me, 16 of them.
One is for my friend who is a life long piano teacher, and it is titled "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank", and two are for a three year old friend of mine, "Jonah" about Jonah in the Bible, and "When We Were Very Young", wonderful poems by A.A. Milne.
Here are the titles of the rest. I am not recommending them because I have not read them yet.
Memoirs
I do like memoirs, especially those of people living in other countries. Humor in memoirs is nice too.
"Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper" by Fuchsia Dunlop. Supposed to be an insightful memoir of living and cooking in China. I hope she does NOT use shark's fin in her cooking; that is a horrible thing to do, as fishermen cut the fin off live sharks, throw them back in the water and the sharks die.
"Paris I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down", memoir by Rosecrans Baldwin.
"Living In a Foreign Language" memoir of living in Italy, by Michael Tucker.
"Travels with Alice" by Calvin Trillin. I like other books by Trillin.
"Solomon Time: An Unlikely Quest in the South Pacific". A young American teacher brings chickens to a Pacific Island to help people there.
"Nomad's Hotel: Travels in Time and Space", the author's collected articles about places including Isfahan, Mali, Australia and Munich.
"Elizabeth and Her German Garden" by Elizabeth von Arnim, a writer new to me that several bloggers recommend.
"Long Way Down", a motorcycle journey. I will offer this book to our younger son.

Next a book about Jesus and then novels that sound grand.
"Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Reilly.
Novels
"The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate" by Nancy Mitford. I read the fascinating biography of the Mitford sisters, called "Sisters" and have been meaning to read these titles, two in one volume.
"Come Rain or Come Shine" by Jan Karon. I love this series and read each one.
"Wit's End" by Karen Joy Fowler.
"Saint Odd" by Dean Koontz. I like this series and this is the final volume.

One thing I do successfully to keep our home in balance is that for each book I bring in to the house, I move one book out of our house. I give the books to friends, to the public library or to the Little Free Libraries all around town. I do the same with clothes, when I buy a top or pair of shorts, I give one away to charity. As of today, 3 weeks after the sale, I have given away 35 books, so I am in good shape on that. That keeps our home's book shelves in balance and not looking like one of those crazed hoarders on a reality tv program. LOL.
I was surprised to learn that our church had a huge book sale the next day!!! So I bought five books there, and that will be in another post. I have to laugh at myself buying these books, but I do love to read good books.





19 comments:

Laura S Reading said...

Charity book sales are the best! I love the end of our local library sale when it is fill a bag time. I am usually good for at least 3 bags. YES- I do gift books to others.
A.A. Milne is not just for kids. :)

I also have a few memoirs I've picked up recently. Some are light hearted and some...well, I am just nosy.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Have you room on your bookshelves for these? I would have to buy and new book case if I bought another book - I already have bookshelves in every room.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It sounds like you will have a busy summer.

I also am like you, buy a book, give one away.

Sam I Am...... said...

I am a book hoarder! LOL! I used to go to the sales and stock up but I am reading them now and getting rid of them as I read them. Plus, my tastes have changed over the years. I too love memoirs and Jan Karon. Let us know how you like your new books! How fun!

Wanda said...

I have a couple of good girlfriends that like the same kind of reading. We share books and pass them back and forth.

You really made a "killing" as they would say. Happy reading!!! My favorite pass time.

Michelle said...

Looks like you found some interesting reads!

Anonymous said...

That's a great way to keep your books and clothes under control. I haven't been to a good library book sale in some time. Sounds like you found some great books. Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Harvee said...

am curious about shark's fin and Sechaun pepper. Hope it's a good memoir.

Stephanie said...

Oh, I would be smiling too :) It definitely sounds like you found some great books! Happy reading.

Hugs!

Neesie said...

I'm a real book fan and I'm loving this post Terra,
I went to a coffee shop when I lived in Melbourne and they had walls covered with secondhand books. I was in my element. I have to admit that I haven't read one of your new collection.
I'm not reading as much as I used to and am missing it. I used to be in a book club, but just haven't joined a new one since moving back here. Maybe it's time I did ;D

Jennifer said...

You can never, ever, have too many books! It's impossible!

I do love Elizabeth Von Arnim. When you finish Elizabeth and Her German Garden, read The Solitary Summer. It's a follow up, and equally good.

bj said...

I don't read much in the summertime..I like to read in the cold weather...

grams ramblings said...

What a great collection you've found...

gramswisewords.blogspot.com

The Polka Dot Closet said...

yoohoo you hit the jackpot! I hope you find a great one in all of those books. When I find a great author I love to head the other books they have written.

Carol

Shug said...

Way to go.....!! Happy 4th of July to you and your family..... Blessings!!

Linda said...

I agree with you! It is so easy to accumulate a ton of books in no time at all! I have enough right this minute to last me the rest of my life! I, too, give away the books after I've read them. At least most of them. Some are treasured and I keep. I read out loud to my husband every morning and it is usually a biography. We read all of Bill O'Reilly's books!

Blondie's Journal said...

You made a killing, Terra! None of the titles rang a bell but I can assure you, I have enough unread books on my nightstand that I don't need to purchase anything else for months!

Jane

Rebecca said...

Quite sure you'll like "Elizabeth and Her German Garden" ...
And pretty sure I'D like the one about life in Italy. :)

I just became aware of the first Little Free Library in our small town. (I've had good intentions of hosting one myself, but haven't gotten around to it.)

Sounds like you have plenty of good reads to last you for the first half of July anyway...

River said...

I'd have a really hard time giving away books, no matter how many I bring into the house!