Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Mma Ramotswe and Her No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series

Books are an important part of my life and I thought to change things up a bit on my blog I will tell you about my favorite book series. The first one in the series is "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency", by Alexander McCall Smith. I think he is a genius to create such a deep and wonderful main character who is a woman and who lives in Africa.
Here are my thoughts on "The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon".


Each time I read a book in this series, I smile with pleasure and a feeling of peace when reading the last page. Mma Ramotswe and her world in a small town in her beloved Botswana will lift your spirits even as she solves a crime or two. Mma always happily thinks of herself as a "woman of traditional build", and has never once thought of the word "diet", bless her heart. In this installment Mma Ramotswe and her assistant, Mma Makutsi (a quirky and prickly and loyal lady) are separated when Mma Makutsi has a baby. Oh, they miss each other so much! In Botswana the old ways means less is said, rather than more, even between friends. Their painful separation causes the two friends to say more, and one of them gives the other a generous gift from her heart. The first in the series is “The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency”, and each one I read leaves me feeling more happy. I hope they have the same effect on you. Read one and I think your dreams will be sweet.

23 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello,

Yes, we love these books and have read several in the series.

As you say, Alexander Mc Call Smith pens his characters so beautifully and sympathetically and one cannot help but be drawn into their world. Although the 'action' takes place in a small town, the ideas, emotions and morals are far more universal.

The author's clear love of and knowledge of Africa shines through these novels and we have learned much from his writing. A jolly good read!

Deborah Montgomery said...

We read the first book in this series in our book club and all enjoyed it very much.
Also, wanted to let you know that Cathy sent me your book; I sent her a thank you, but also wanted to thank you for writing such a lovely book. I will enjoy dipping into it every Christmas season. Thank you!

Wanda said...

Oh my goodness... I have read them all, and can't wait until he pens another one. They are so full of common sense, humor and sage advice.

Another series I have read and loved was the Midford Series. So reminds me of our little church in Hughson, CA and the people of the town.

Michelle said...

I have not read these books, but will have to look into them!

Sam I Am...... said...

I love those books but I read them when he first started writing them and of course, he couldn't keep up with my reading so I stopped. I need to start over again. How many books are there now?
They are great, I agree! I also love The Mitford series books and Jacqueline Winspear's books. Have you read any of them?

Terra said...

Hi Sam, there are about 14 in the Mma Ramotswe series, I hope you do start reading them again. I also love the Mitford series and have read them all, and I am reading the Winspear series too. We have similar reading tastes, I see.

a joyful noise said...

I love woman detective stories and this one sounds lovely with her dear friend and realizing a good chat with friends is enjoyable and comforting.

Simply Shelley said...

Sounds like some fun books to read . Thanks for sharing. Blessings

Gwen Buchanan said...

I have heard that this was a great series... glad to hear you recommend them too.

happyone said...

I've read these books too and love all of them. I like the Bertie series as well.

Mari said...

I love these books! I'll have to see if there are new ones out that I haven't read!

Michaele said...

With that kind of review, I will be on the look out for this book. The cover itself will be hard to forget.

Anonymous said...

HI Terra! Thanks for popping in to see me. I need to read more and thanks for the review.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Sounds different and fun. I have looked the author up on Amazon and will likely give the first book a try. Boy, he is a prolific writer! How do you sign in? LC Skupien

Buttercup said...

One of my favorites, too. I've read most of the series, but still have a few to go. Thanks for the nudge to pick one up soon.

Hilary said...

Seems like everyone has heard of it except me. I've never been one for a large series but ya never know.

Hootin Anni said...

Sounds like a great series to read.

And your walk along the beach in your post below this....fun, fun images.

Allie said...

I absolutely adore these books - did you see the tv series? It only lasted one season but it was gorgeous.

RURAL said...

Do they have a TV show about this also? I'm sure I've seen something as delightful as this book on TV.

Jen

MadSnapper said...

I read every day of my life, I would reather read than watch a movie or TV or even play on my computer. and you already know I love Sheldon..

Friko said...

I’m another fan.
They are such easy and light-hearted fun.

Red Rose Alley said...

I really have to get back to reading, Terra. The girls really love books and Nel has a study with shelves and shelves of books.

Have a nice rest of the week.

~Sheri

DawnTreader said...

I enjoy those too, I think I've read them all including this one. (Most of them I listened to as audio books in Swedish translation borrowed from the library.)