Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Bargain books, 2 memoirs, a detective novel and a book related to Downton Abbey

I bought three of these books at our local Goodwill book store. It is a small store that just sells books, dvds, and music.
My husband and I have read the whole detective mystery series about John Rebus by Ian Rankin except for this most recent one, "Saints of the Shadow Bible." "A Charmed Life: Growing Up in Macbeth's Castle" by Liza Campbell, is a memoir. Her father was heir to Cawdor Castle where she was born and a review says "wild sorry tale with an offhand wit."
My third Goodwill purchase is "Blue Nights" by Joan Didion, another memoir. I have read other memoirs by her, and she writes about the death of her beloved daughter in this one.
These hardcovers cost $3.49 each and the money goes to a good cause.
My fourth wonderful book is "Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey", which is nonfiction about the 5th Countess of Carnarvon written by the 8th and current Countess. The Carnarvon family estate is Highclere Castle, where Downton Abbey is filmed. The real life Lady Almina and the fictional Lady Cora Crawley have much in common, including opening their estate to wounded soldiers in World War I, and I love this book. If you like Downton Abbey or history I recommend this book.

21 comments:

Anne Payne said...

You have some interesting reading for the winter months, huh? I like the sound of the memoir, Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey.

Michelle said...

I do think I would like the Downton Abbey book, thanks for the suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Fun reading! I just snagged a small stack at half-price books--what was I thinking? I don't have time to read!

Cheapchick said...

I love Ian Ranking but have only read 2 so have many more to go - great finds! We are waiting for a Rotary Charity book sale that is happening the beginning of November - usually Mom and I each end up with bags full that we trade back and forth. Well spent money

Dee said...

Thank you for the reviews...I do not think there are any Goodwill stores where I live that just sells books, dvds, and music. I wish we did because that is where I usually go first to shop.As the weather gets cooler I get the urge to read.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

The one about Highclere sounds like one I would enjoy. I have several I have accumulated to read during Winter months.
Gorgeous Fall weather here this week - hope it is in your area also.

Wanda said...

A cup of coffee, sunshine on the balcony and a good book. Are we on the same page?? HaHa.

Good finds.

Anitha said...

i love reading detectiv and regency novels.. seems like they will be lovely to read.. have fun reading :)

Beth Niquette said...

These books sound really good. I've been looking for my next book to read. Sounds like this would be a good set for winter. :D

Cranberry Morning said...

I think I would enjoy reading the Downton Abbey book. I saw a short documentary with Lady Carnarvon in which she tells about Lady Almina. I think Julian Fellowes tries to be historically accurate as much as possible.

Michaele said...

A Goodwill book store? Great idea.

Friko said...

Interesting haul.
Happy reading.

Kimmie said...

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey would definitely appeal to me.

Thank you SO much for the beautiful heartfelt cards you send.

Kimmie
xxx

Inger said...

I love this post. I buy my books at the local thrift store too. And I am often surprised by the good quality of reading done in our small town.

Denise said...

Sounds like good reading.

Simply Shelley said...

Enjoy your books my friend. I've got to get back to my reading The Mitford series. I've also recently weeded through my bookshelves and have two bags ready to go to charity. I think I'm limiting myself to buying anymore books, for a while anyway :) Blessings

Lady Jane said...

These sound really good. Will check out the detective series. Since I got my tablet I read incessantly. I check out books just like at the library but don't have to leave the house. I really need to go to the library and get a real book to hold because I miss going there.

Lady Jane said...

Thanks Terra, I will check out the website. Glad you enjoyed the video. LJ

A Colorful World said...

How wonderful that you have a Goodwill book store there. We have a place called Bookmans that has great used books. That Downton Abbey book sounds great! Would be a fascinating read to hear about the true stories of that amazing estate!

Anonymous said...

lovely blog, i found you thrue other bloggers...

xinex said...

I bet i'll enjoy those too, Terra. I love Downton Abbey. Christine