Saturday, October 3, 2009

Grow Your Very Own Rosemary Christmas Tree



IMG_2077.JPG
Originally uploaded by ceejayoz

Grow a Rosemary Christmas Tree

Do you like rosemary "trees" as part of your Christmas decorations? You can save money by buying a plant and shaping it into your very own Christmas tabletop tree.


Trimmed to a triangular Christmas tree shape, or a round shape, and decorated, rosemary plants look festive on a table or on your front porch. If your porch has room, one plant on each side of the door looks cheery and welcoming.


Now is a good time to visit your plant store and buy a small rosemary plant that has the potential for you to trim it to a pretty shape. You can do the shaping over a period of weeks if appropriate. This can be a family project to find a rosemary plant that you will use as holiday decor each year. When you buy a rosemary plant in October or November, ask your store expert if you can keep the plant outside until you display it or if it will do best indoors, with plenty of sunlight. Their recommendations will vary with the climate in your area.

Once your rosemary "tree" is selected and gently trimmed to the shape you want, look around for things to trim it with. Bows, strings of beads, and tiny ornaments will add color to your tree and room or porch. You can cover the pot with gold or red foil for even more holiday glow.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You starting over Tootsie? What a nice idea.
QMM

Mimmy said...

What a wonderful idea and one that I've not heard of before. It may be the new thing I add to Christmas this year.

God Bless,
Mimmy

Linda Yezak said...

What a beautiful idea! I'd never thought of that. Where do you get rosemary plants that large?

Susan said...

You're more ambitious than me, but love it. I've killed . . . 2? 4? Rosemary Christmas trees but they were great while they lasted. I think it's a personal problem, my friends have no trouble with them. :-)

Terra said...

I am glad I am inspiring some of you to try this, or to try it again.
Linda, at most garden centers you can often buy rosemary plants in 3 inch and 4 inch pots, which are tiny and cute, and in one gallon and even five gallon containers.
So choose the size perfect for you. I suggest the 3 or 4 inch pots and the one gallon container.

Heart2Heart said...

What a wonderful idea and option for those that may be allergic to pine. I have several friends that have to deal with having artificial trees and this just gives me other ideas.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Blessed said...

We have a small house and no room for a "traditional" Christmas tree so I usually end up buying a small rosemary bush pre-shaped into Christmas tree formation from the local hardware store. Then I proceed to kill it once we get into January... I try to keep it alive because I love fresh rosemary!

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I'm glad you appreciated my list of Christmas gift "prompters" :)

TAILS of TANKENE said...

I can just smell the rosemary permeating the room! I wish Christmas was here! Sparkles

Jodi said...

I really like rosemary trees, but I never have been able to keep them alive! any suggestions?