Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Name your must have plants

Hi gardeners,
Do you have any plants you consider essential?
Post them in a comment if you are so inspired.
For my vegie patch, tomatoes, basil and cilantro are must haves.
I have 4 roses that I am fond of. One multiflora pink rose arches over a statue of Mary, so is the focal point, with her, of my little ol Mary Garden.
Rosemary also graces her garden, and it is super to have fresh rosemary sprigs available. Just put a few sprigs in the oven when baking chicken or roasting beef.
The branches are also fun to add to charcoal briquets, for outdoor grilling.
I also admire my two cantua plants, which are about seven feet tall, and have splashy red trumpet shaped flowers most of the year, that hummingbirds like. The cantua is the national flower of Chile, and my friend from Santiago told me about its beauty.
Any favorites you want to share?

2 comments:

Wandering Writer said...

Around here in Ohio the summer wave petunias are essential if I want color in the yard. I've found them to be the easiest to grow and the least tempting for the deer.

Terra said...

"Summer wave petunias" is new to me. Maybe we call them by another name here in Californa. I want to investigate now, since I love petunias.