Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Four books (now seven) arrived at my house

Four new books have arrived at my house recently. The first one I bought at the little book store of used books in our public library. The pretty cover attracted me and the theme of friends in their 60s who move to Fiji made the sale, as they say.
The second one I borrowed from the library and it is the second in the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt detective novels set in Victorian London. I am happy to have found this series and read the first one. The Victorian setting and customs are very accurate which adds to the charm.
I bought the third one "Driving Miss Norma" which is the true story of a lady who when he doctor prescribes intensive cancer treatment for her, tells him "I'm ninety years old and I'm hitting the road" as she travels across the USA in an RV with her son, daughter in law and poodle.
The 4th is special because a blog friend, Diane, mailed it to me as a surprise for my birthday in April.  "The Underground Railroad" is a Pulitzer Prize winning novel by Colson Whitehead and I began reading it yesterday and it is very compelling and brutal and hard to stop reading. In my college years my best friend and I formed a campus group to work for equal rights for African Americans so the topic is meaningful to me.
After I wrote this post, but before publishing it three more books came to my house. A friend had a car trunk full of books she gave away and I am pleased I chose only one, telling her "I am a bookaholic and am limiting myself to one." She said the book I chose, Knowing God, is excellent.

This next one "Writing Hard Stories" has chapters by people who wrote memoirs of getting through hard times, and which I found at a Little Free Library while walking Bounce. Abigail Thomas is in this book and I love her books and have written about them on my blog.
And finally another book I found at a different Little Free Library. Some reviewers said they cried a lot when reading this book about a dog that is ill so I am approaching with caution. The cover and title are so cute and the price was right, it was free. Remember, I have NOT read any of these books, so am not recommending, just showing you some new arrivals at my house.



What books have appeared in your reading life recently?

15 comments:

Pondside said...

I haven't read any of these, but some of them look like 'my sort of book'. Right now I am reading Cooking for Picasso and the biography of Bunny Mellon - I have eclectic taste! I have just finished The Mind of Winter and The House at the Lake. The former is about the Franklin expeditions and the latter is a non-fiction about the history of the occupants of a house that had the Berlin wall built alongside it. All good!

The Weaver of Grass said...

You sound like a bookaholic to me.
I belong a reading group. Our recent reading has been Bernard McLaverty's 'Midwinter Break',
Jon McGregor's 'Reservoir 13' and now this month we are going to read Terry Pratchett's 'Mort'

Lark said...

I love when new books come to my house! :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I just won a couple of books and they are on their way to my house! Yay!!

Linda said...

Your books are intriguing! Especially the one about writing hard stories......

Jeanie said...

I love Anne Perry and have read most of the Pitt series. I think you'll enjoy Callender Square. I'm dying to read Underground Railroad!

Mari said...

You have some good reading ahead! I followed Miss Norma on FB - what a special lady!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I see some I want to read in your new books....like Underground Railroad. I'm reading the new book Varina by Charles Frazier. It's GREAT! (he wrote Cold Mountain) Hugs!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I've been reading anything I can get my hands on by Brene Brown. I find her so inspiring. I just finished Underground Railroad and I loved it!

Happy Reading!

only slightly confused said...

Maids of Misfortune by Louisa Locke...the story of an independent Victorian widow. Get it free for Kindle on Amazon.ca.

Little Penpen said...

These look so good!! I love getting good books to read. I'm with the lady who took off on the RV...I'll bet that's a good one!

37paddington said...

It's wonderful how books find you! I think I might need to pick up writing hard memoirs. Underground Railroad is on my list of books to read. I've heard only good things.

wisps of words said...

It's delightful to have a pile of books, just waiting for you. :-)

I am continuing with "The Inspector Gamache" books. Love them.

And eagerly awaiting the 15th, when a brand new book, will be 'mine' in my library. The last one (so far) in "The Ruth Galloway" series, I have really enjoyed.

Happy reading!!!!

Rebecca said...

The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce! I liked this one! She also wrote one of the most intriguing books -- The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. (I didn't like the follow-up to that one as much. Something about Queenie....)
(I'm going to try to get that first one -Fiji- through our inter-library loan system. Sounds intriguing.)

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I like the digital versions of books on my iPad. I have never been a reader :( I wish I was. My sister loves the smell of books, touch them.