Friday, September 29, 2017

Cheering Meself Up


Yes, me, myself and I, otherwise known as "meself" can use some lighthearted moments. As I take slow steps in my widowhood journey, one treat I enjoy is to read upbeat memoirs. Celebrity memoirs can be fun diversions. I just ordered Betty White's book and it hasn't arrived yet, but I am guessing it will be a fun book to read.



I did buy and read Carol Burnett's book.
This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection by Carol Burnett
I laughed out loud at quite a few things she shared. Some favorites: the two times she did her Tarzan yell at full volume (once to stop a mugging and once in a store to prove who she was so she could make a purchase). Burnett shares stories about spending time as a friend of Cary Grant and how she embarrassed herself when they met. She was also overwhelmed when she met Jimmy Stewart on the set where he was filming the FBI Story, and she promptly stepped off the set into a bucket of whitewash. She walked away with the bucket stuck on her foot, and refused to look back. They later became friends too. Each chapter is short so you can read it in a few minutes, but if you are like me, you will read just one more and one more, etc. A little bit of genuine heart break is included, but most of the book is fun fun funny. Of course, humor is a very individual matter, so I can't tell what might appeal to you, LOL. 
I am reading Rue McClanahan's memoir and it is upbeat as she often laughs at herself and her choices, especially regarding men. Typically when a man in her life asked her to marry him, even when alarm bells were going off, she said yes. All the while trying and failing to say "let me think about it." Rue enjoys sex and writes about it here. This book will go nicely with Betty White's memoir, since all 4 Golden Girls became close while working together for many seasons. Rue never gave up her acting, even when living on a teeny income as a single mom and I cheered for her when the Golden Girls rescued her pocket book :)

Any tips on other upbeat memoirs?

16 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Thanks for the reviews, Terra. In these times, an upbeat book can help push some blues away. Laughter is always the best medicine. I will definitely read Carol Burnett's book. She is a great, funny lady.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

They all sound very interesting ladies.

Sandi said...

These look good. I recently read a William Shatner memoir. Fabulous!

The Weaver of Grass said...

No suggestions - sorry.
Widowhood takes some getting used to. I am having a bad day today and hoping that tomorrow will be better.

Betsy said...

Great book suggestions. I have heard others say Carol Burnetts book is wonderful. Prayers for you as you learn a new "normal".
Blessings,
Betsy

Blondie's Journal said...

I love memoirs, too, Terra. I've always favored the old movie stars, and have read the memoirs and biographies of Vivian Leigh, Lauren Bacall, and Grace Kelly, to name a few. Amazing women.

I love Carol Burnett, she is a superb comedian. I loved her show, especially in the segments when she played the lazy secretary to Tim Conway. They were great together.

I loved Rue McClanahan. You were writing about her in the present tense-she has passed on, maybe I read you wrong.

Keep us posted on your readings!

Jane x

only slightly confused said...

Glad to hear you are finding some laughter. So healing.

Terra said...

Blondie, I did not know that Rue McClanahan had died, just that she had breast cancer. Thanks for filling us in.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I am sure these are all funny books along with their own personal tragedies. It is good to learn to laugh at ourselves in the midst of the trials and see that God sometimes has a sense of humor regarding us if we allow ourselves to relax and laugh a little. Praying for you as you continue in your journey. May the Lord bring many smiles to your face each new day. You are a blessing to many. Don't ever forget that.

R's Rue said...

Praying.

Lin said...

I just downloaded Carol Burnett's book. I'm glad you liked it...I can't wait to read it!

Little Penpen said...

I like all those funny ladies. I hope they lift your spirits.

liparifam said...

I enjoyed Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated by the actress Alison Arngrim. For something a little different, try Me and Jezebel: When Bette Davis Came for Dinner -- And Stayed ... And Stayed ... And Stayed ... A true story and a hoot! And I adored David Niven's 2 books - The Moon's a Balloon, and Bring on the Empty Horses.

Rebecca said...

No suggestions - but what a GREAT idea--reading those upbeat memoirs! ♥

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You've mentioned some great books about ladies I admire. I have the memoir, Spoken from the Heart by Laura Bush and it is excellent! I think you would really enjoy it! Hugs, Diane

Red Rose Alley said...

I love Betty White. I still watch her in the Mary Tyler Show reruns. : )

~Sheri