Friday, May 13, 2016

Book Beginnings: Straight Man

"Truth be told, I'm not an easy man. I can be an entertaining one, though it's been my experience that most people don't want to be entertained. They want to be comforted."

The above are the first sentences of "Straight Man" by Richard Russo. The above opening sentences are from the prologue. Here is the first sentence from chapter one.
"When my nose finally stops bleeding and I've disposed of the bloody paper towels, Teddy Barnes insists on driving me home in his ancient Honda Civic, a car that refuses to die, and that Teddy, cheap as he is, refuses to trade in."
Many people praise Richard Russo and this is the first book of his that I am reading. He is noted for "Empire Falls" which was made into a mini-series for tv, with a great cast of actors.
I am linking with Rose City Reader and her Book Beginnings.
I am also linking to Fredas Voice where we share from page 56 of a book.
"She shrugs. "Remember how tough things used to be when we were broke all the time?" In truth, I don't. I remember being broke, but I don't recall things being that tough."

9 comments:

sherry fundin said...

Hmmm...the cover makes me a bit curious with that goose sticking his head up.
sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

fredamans said...

I have a friend who feels the same way about his Civic. LOL.
Sounds like a fun read.
Thank you for linking up to the 56, however, please link your post, not your blog so people are directed to the appropriate post for the meme. I fixed it this time, but usually I just delete the links.
Happy weekend!

Inger said...

I haven't read anything by him, but I read about this book recently. Hope you enjoy it.

Sandra Cox said...

Let us know what you think, when you've finished it.

Maria said...

This sounds like a good read - new to me author and book - thanks for spotlighting it. Here's my Friday meme

Margaret D said...

Enjoy your read.
I'm currently reading 'Outlander'

baili said...

looks good humor with wisdom ,thank you for sharing your favorite read ,have a blessed day

Little Wandering Wren said...

Interesting - looks a really good read.
Wren x

Joyful said...

I like the quote and the opening lines. That is how I usually choose the books I read by reading the first few lines. Of course I also see what others are reading.