Monday, November 29, 2010

Rumeli fortress, European Istanbul from the Bosporus Strait


Rumeli fortress, European Istanbul from the Bosporus Strait
Originally uploaded by Mickey Bo


I wanted to change up my blog posts a bit, and had a block about what to share here.
Then I thought about Istanbul, and the college I attended there for one year, and voila. I found this photo of Rumeli Hisar, a fortress that guards Istanbul and the Bosphorus.
This is an outstanding fortress to visit, which I did many times. It is located at the base of the hill below the college I attended so I saw it often.
To prevent invasions via water and the Bosphorus, a heavy metal chain was strung across the Bosphorus, which stopped ships from entering the city.
If you visit Istanbul aim to see Bebek and Rumeli Hisar, for a trip back in time. I sure loved my year in Turkey. The entire country is full of historical sites that are beautiful and I made many friends there.
One thing that is especially gorgeous about Istanbul is sunset when the mosques are silhouetted by the setting sun.

10 comments:

BumbleVee said...

Wow... you've been around..... must have been an interesting year.....

Anonymous said...

Dear Terra, Oh how I yearn to visit Istanbul. There is a train there from Budapest via Bucharest and one day I imagine myself to be on it. Your posting has whetted my appetite still further. Lovely!

Mari said...

What a beautiful picture. I bet you learned a lot that year!

Unknown said...

Beautiful picture, Terra! Must have been quite the adventure! Have you had the opportunity to go back for a visit?

Wandering Writer said...

Believe it or not, Terra, we have not been to Istanbul. We did visit the area near Ephesus which was very interesting.

Anonymous said...

What an incredible photo Terra. Thank you for sharing part of your world with me. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Really informative blog post here my friend. I just wanted to comment & say keep up the quality work. I’ve bookmarked your blog just now and I’ll be back to read more in the future my friend! Also well-chosen colors on the theme it goes well with the blog in my modest opinion :)

Unknown said...

Terra, thank you for visiting my blog and following me, I'm following you right back. Were you one that wanted to hear more about Rose? Just wondering?
all the best this hliday season,
glenda

Toyin O. said...

I always wanted to go to Isatanbul, I hear that it is a lovely place.

Buttercup said...

Great photo. I spent a wonderful week in Istanbul 17 years ago. So much to see -- loved Topkapi Palace -- and so much interesting history. I found myself studying every night, so that I could keep up with all that I was seeing. Would like to go back to Turkey and see the coast.