Thursday, May 8, 2008

joi choi


joi choi
Originally uploaded by Zoe52
In early spring I planted Joi Choi and Japanese Red Mustard; and six weeks later the leaves are huge and healthy, and their strong flavor repells the snails.
Joi Choi must be in the Bok Choi family.

My husband creates a delicious dish with these wonderful leaves. Pick a lot because they cook down. In a skillet heat olive oil, chopped garlic, Joi Choi, Japanese Red Mustard, and if you have them, add in red cabbage and onion.
Cook a few minutes on the stovetop.
They have a strong edgy flavor, and are yummy as a side dish with steak and potatoes or anything else you want.

5 comments:

Trace & Terri said...

Terra that sure sounds like a yummy dish. I will have to give it a try. Happy Mother's Day. Sparkles

Becky said...

No way! I too planted Joi Choi this spring!

I'll be back to look around your blog some more. Very nice!!

Terra Hangen said...

Hi Becky,
How fun that you planted Joi Choi too. I had to buy it when I saw the name. We all want joy in our gardens.

Becky said...

Hi Terra, it's me again.

I love how you said, "We all want joy in our gardens"! So true.

I bought my Joi Choi at the
Master Gardeners and the Grade School Kids-plant sale!

Keep having fun!
Becky

kate smudges said...

I've never heard of this before. It sounds delicious - and easy to make!