Thursday, January 24, 2008

Garlic and Onions

"We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions and the garlic." Numbers 11:5-6
Garlic and onions, all members of the Allium genus, were important parts of the human diet as far back as 3200 B.C., and fed the workers who built the pyramids of Egypt.

My friend, Terry, mentioned that she has sets of onions and garlic, and that it will soon be time to plant them, here in California.Wherever you live, as soon as your climate permits, I recommend planting these little culinary workhorses.

Until I planted my own garlic I never knew how delicately flavorful the leaves are in salads or cooking. Delicious, and pretty much the only way to enjoy the leaves is by growing your own garlic.

I haven't tried growing onions and garlic from seed, since the sets are so easy and quick. Set in the dirt, cover with said dirt, and voila: you will be harvesting onions and garlic within a month or two.

photo is from christing-O at creativecommons



garlic
Originally uploaded by christing-O-


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terra your gardening blog is wonderful.